Odd HD Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olan1Durai

Baseband Member
This problem comes with a story, so if you don't want to hear a story, skip to the bottom...
Being the ignorant little-minded fool that I am, I mistakenly tried to install a Windows 98 driver on my Windows 2000 Professional OS. Suffice to say, it died. I was unable to reinstall my OS for approximately a month, for the CD had been left on the floor, or rubbed against concrete, or some other devilish act that my younger siblings probably devised... At the end of that month, my long awaited OS Cd had arrived. I popped it into the drive, went through the paces of reinstalling Windows, but then I realized there was something wrong.
When the installation gave me a choice as to where to install the OS (partition wise), my two old partitions had changed from C: and D: to C: and Unknown Disc... I was slightly confused, but I went with it and tried to install the OS on C. This was a while back so I am unsure as to the exact name of the error, I think it was "Unknown Disc Error" or something that had to do with the partitions being, for the lack of a better phrase, "messed up."
So it wouldn't allow me to install on either partition, and I did not want to format the C partition because it held a good 300-400 hours of my life on it. Therefore, I formatted the Unknown Disc part, or moreover tried.

Here starts my problem, for those of you who didn't wish a story. The C partition of my 200 GB drive is approximately 80 GB, the other partition approximatly 120 GB. The 120 GB partition had been somehow corrupted. Every time I tried to format the corrupted partition, the amount of space that the Windows Installation program recognised increased, by the time I noticed this, the corrupted part of the drive had "grown" to the size of about 420GB.
At this point I gave up and formatted my C partition and started over from scratch, however, my 200 GB HD has been reduced from that to about 80GB, and I was just wondering if any PC tech gurus among you would know what could have happened to my HD and if it would be possible to fix it.
Ohh and by the by, my Warrantee on it is out... :confused:

I'll give it a try, thank you.

Just wondering, will the low-level format erase everything on my HD?

YES...low level format (if im correct) will write all 1s to the drive basically rendering "full" but overwritable.

Low level format creates the tracks and sectors on a hard disk. Low level formatting creates the physical format.

Writing 1's (shredding) is a high level format.

Thank you very much. It has worked and my PC is up and running fine, I had a few other problems before I formatted it, such as CD-RW drive problems and such, but I think that's just a dirty lens. Thank you guys, again.

Amd64Boy said:
try keeping you disks in a case next time lol

or rip it to the hard drive as a clone cd image or .iso, so you will have a backup in case something should ever happen to your new disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom