Should I Risk It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
I'm contemplating whether or not to go out and get a Radeon 9800SE and trying to softmod it to a 9800PRO. I know there is a chance of getting a card that wont allow me to do so without getting artifacts but I wonder if I do get an inelligable card will I be able to RMA it to newegg and tell them I bought the wrong one? Of course I would reorder one again.... Do you think they would suspect that?

Basically they are Radeon 9800PRO's that have been tuned down... You can softmod them so that it opens up the other 4 pixel pipelines and it will be technically a 9800PRO and will be an awesome card.... Plus it's alot cheaper as well. ATi sometimes uses perfectly good cards and just downtunes them, but sometimes there is a reason why they are downtuned, like the other pipelines are damaged. The reason I want to know is because I still get some lag when I play FarCry and I am a cheap person.

I would get 1 6600gt, I dont own it but many people say it preforms good and benchmarks support that too. It costs about the same as a 9800pro.

For the 9800SE I have no idea, but I've heard that most SE's (not just 9800) are bad, just a cheaper, cripled version of the regular card.

Its all about the 6800nU/nGT - about the same price as 6600GT but much better performer.
Assuming we're thinking of the same cards, it's not a better performer and it's also pricer. I just looked at a plain jane 6800 and it was $270 compared to $215 for an eVGA 6600GT...

On top of that it's only utilizing GDDR2 memory instead of the new memory, both have 128mb of it and after all that I believe most benchmarks show the 6600GT to outperform the 6800

IMO you'd be better off with a 6600GT than a 128mb 6800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom