Speed up your Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.P. Mguire said:
it may be in your regisrty still or try taking it permanently off your hd.

I took everything off my HDD as possible, even the prefetch files and all that. Where would i look in my registry for it? i did a computer search for BootVIS and it only found like 6 files and i deleted them all laready.

TheMajor said:
I would not press cancel and see if its fixed then.

I did that twice:( The first time it froze when it was rebooting (during the logoff process), and the second time it rebooted fine...but when it got to the Windows loading screen it froze again like all the other times. It's been running solid for the past 30 mins now...but i haven't tried to reboot it yet. im scared! lol. i'm viruse scanning with stinger, lavasoft, and norton to make sure it's just the OS messing up and not my hardware. after they ALL finish i'll reboot and cross my fingers.

TheMajor said:
start>run
type: sfc /scannow

try this

It asks me to insert a CD so i can copy files to DLL Cache. I don;t have a XP Pro CD...i think my dad does. Why do i need this CD? My computer worked fine b4 BootVIS...

EDIT: tried this on my Vectra as well. Says the same thing. There are certain processes, programs i chose to disable/not install that XP comes with...i don;t want to have to install them and lose speed. Is this what it is asking me to do...or does it just want a file for something?

TheMajor said:
sfc /scannow looks for changed system files and replaces them with original files from the disc.

i see, that makes sense. But by changing the files to there original settings or w/e...that reconfigures all my settings doesn't it? i'm not sure if thats right or not.

I rebooted my computer after finiding 0% ANYTHING on all 3 tests lol. It booted fine and i'm back on it again. I will run it all day and trya a few more reboots. if it doesn;t mess up i think i might have fixed it (although how i have no idea). guess i got lucky.

Man, I hope everything is straightened out for ya 4W4K3, can't belive it went all AWOL like that =/

Wish I hadn't specifically said 'hey 4W4K3 you see that thread I made blah blah'.....bah sorry you had to go through this man I feel bad that it happened to ya :(

after about 2 reboots it started freezing again. i think i'll jsut reformat and clean up my computer...i need it. my dad is finally home and he can find those CD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom