ASUS A8V Deluxe...what do u think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cappy said:
Im using both blue slots There is currently 2 versions of this board out i purchased version 2 Revision . See if a BIOS update address the problem your having . Im running the newest released BIOS version out .The BIOS updates do address alot of issues as with any board .

thanks cap!

i did read that version 1008 fixes the "issue" w/ dual channel.

so i'd better dl that.

yeah, i noticed you have the 2nd version, i read good things about it.

but i ordered mine from newegg last week, how could i tell if it IS the 2nd version?

it probably isn't.

but hopefully all the updates cures the woes.

it should say on the reciept also load up ASUS Utility in the Imformation Dialog Click on MB it should show Revision # 1.##

Cappy said:
it should say on the reciept also load up ASUS Utility in the Imformation Dialog Click on MB it should show Revision # 1.##

oh yeah, duh!

i remember it did say Revision 1.something...so i guess that's that.

do you think i could order say the Mushkin brand memory in conjunction w/ my current Crucial sticks? or better to just stick to all the same brand?

newegg's got 2x512 = 1gig for $129...

but, i love Crucial...their 100% compatibility is excellent!

how does your Ballistix's handle?

do you game?

for the best overclocking stability stay with the same memory brand .Im impressed with the Crucial Ballistix very stable and overclock friendly .I kinda wish they would hurry up and get the 1 gig sticks out :). Very good memory in my opinion :)
Do i game well im a gaming fenatic thats why i bought this system . And i must say im very pleased with AMD and 6800 Ultra
I play with maxed settings plus 8x AA 16x AF is a norm for me on all games .Favorite is BF1942 DC Final im online all the time as BMR Cap .Far Cry is fenominal beauty on this rig, Doom 3 is awsom kinda like a Haunted House :) Call Of Duty /United Offensive spectacular explosions and realism ... ahh yes it s all good :)

Cappy said:

i had the same little funky screwed up problems :[ .But i was able to prevail on my 1st AMD System

cap, got a little funky problem w/ trying to update the Bios to ver. 1008zip.

when i dl it, it shows up as A8V1008.AMI type file.

so how do go about actually performing the update.

(man i feel like such a newb)

am i missing something? shouldn't there be an installer/setup icon or something?

it's just this file that windows can't recognize.

any thoughts man?

*edit*

hold on cappy, i'm seeing in the ASuS PC Probe under BIOS it says Version 1008.003....

so i guess that means i DO have the newest bios version!?

strange, wonder why i can't use both DIMM sticks in both the blue slots?

do you know where/how to check if it's running on Dual or not?

i have them in slot B1 & B2 and it's working..., very odd, but maybe it has to do w/ having ver. 1.

oh well.

you can actualy use the ASUS Flash Utilitie and flash with in windows thats what ive allways used myself youll have to install it from CD .I cant remeber the xact BIOS Number ill check . Your right that may be the prob with the first released board . I studied up on the board b4 buying i dont recall the problems with the 1st release i just focused on finding the 2nd version .

^^when i had ordered 1 DIMM Crucial stick a month ago, i was very impressed w/ that memory so i went back to newegg and ordered (hopefully) the same one, since it was the same price, i ordered it.

but when i received the 2nd DIMM stick, i noticed that both sides of the stick were covered w/ blocks, however my 1st stick had only one side covered w/ blocks.

1st was made in U.K., 2nd was made in Malaysia...

i'm concerned now that even though it's the same brand, size, speed RAM, they may NOT be completely identical, and could that be the reason it won't boot up in Dual Mode?

Bios says it's version 1008.03, so i can't update anymore.

i'm new to mobo's so figuring out all the pros and cons is a bit tedious, but it's quite rewarding when it's up and runnin'.

i should've studied a bit more about it, i didn't realised until a few hours after i placed the order, about there being a Ver.2 of the board, so i was crossing my fingers, hoping i'd receive that version, but i didn't.

btw, i ran 3DMark03 and sadly, i scored about 2850...eh!
i still need a bit of tweaking though.

thanks for your constant feedback cappy, it's much appreciated!

yea running dual channel requires exact match in the manual.
That may be your dual channel problem. In fact i pretty much believe thats your prob.As far as 3dmark03 goes thats a pretty tuff test all around and your card is defenatly the bottleneck.
What type of memory did you purchase ? My bios V is 1008.003.
A heads up on that auto overclock dont trust it lol .I tried the 10%OC and it turned my voltages way to high and in order to get them back down i had to reset defaults .I used the manual OC and the most i can get is about a 5% increase overall with stock cooling and stability .Plus im not 1 to push the limits anyways its pretty fast as is .

I know it's off the topic but I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask a simple question... because I think that would make the mods kinda mad... =p

But anyways... was wondering if this chaintech mainboard is a decent one
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-152-040&DEPA=1
I never bought anything 'chaintech', and I'm putting a computer together for a friend... she doesn't do anything except for internet and school work so no fancy stuff needed... so I found a cheap one.

With this CPU
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-104-159&depa=1

Last thing, is anyone selling lets say a 20GB HD for really cheap? Or even a 10GB one. I can't seem to find a low capacity cheap HD anywhere to suit this set up.

im not familiar with Chaintech but it looks like a descent board its getting some good reviews from newegg users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom