Speed up your Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Sorry 4W4K3 I never saw anything about it screwing up for SP2, I simply saw the notices even on microsofts own site that simply said they no longer supported it, nothing about it crashing with SP2.

I'll edit my post though and add that warning also.

its not ur fault lol. i would have found out about it later and tried it myself...

worked for me (i got sp2). Cut my time from 36 to 28 seconds. That sucks 4w4k3.... hope you get it workin

I have the following lines in a DOS script to speed things up, and to save disk space:

del C:\windows\prefetch\ntosboot-*.* /q
del "C:\documents and settings\*\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\*\*.*" /q
del "C:\documents and settings\*\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\*\*" /q
del "C:\documents and settings\*\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\index.dat" /q
del "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*" /q
del "C:\Windows\Temp\*" /q

the first line makes XP boot a lot faster, the others are deleting temporary files

also, to speed up browsing files, you can go to tools, folder options, view, then deselect "automatically search for network folders and printers"
it should locate and display files and folders quicker this way
this doesn't mean you can't use network folders or printers, it just means it doesn't automatically search for them

Or you can just get a 10K RPM HD and your boot time will decrease to about no time @ all, and w/ that porgram, it will be super fast. Just buy an 18 gig HD @ 10K RPM and put windows on it and high end games, it should do the trick ;)

Or you can just get a 10K RPM HD and your boot time will decrease to about no time @ all, and w/ that porgram, it will be super fast. Just buy an 18 gig HD @ 10K RPM and put windows on it and high end games, it should do the trick

Yeah....that kind of defeats the purpose of this article.....

See how my suggestion is free and yours costs atleast $100 for a 10,000RPM drive....

Even then...you can still speed up boot up the time of the 10k RPM Drive.

The point is to speed it up via what you are already working with, not to go out and buy something faster.

bigdawgjts2663 said:
Add to my other reply, a 10k RPM HD will bot windows fast (3 seconds!!!!)

You mean it will CUT 3 seconds out of the boot time right? it won;t boot Windows in 3 seconds...even a 15K drive can;t do that.

well i dont use anything and i have a boot time of 27sec. all i do is go to the kitchen get a glass of koolaid and come back and its all done so i never have to wait. besides 27sec is fast enouh!

UPDATE!!!

My main rig is back up and running. I rebooted 3 more times today as a last resort before reformatting. 1st boot loaded to desktop then froze, 2nd boot froze in Windows screen, and 3rd boot worked!!! The Bootvis screen came up on desktop and i clicked Cancel as fast as i could. Onc i did that everythign worked fine, i uninstalled Bootvis....and it works!! (i'm on it now.) YAY! i don;t have to reformat!!! So if you are haveing trouble loading Windows after using this...just reboot 13 times lmao. i think i just got lucky and it didn't freeze at desktop till i clicked Cancel...andd after that it hasd no reason to freeze.

EDIT: wow...i guess i should have tried to reboot after uninstall first. it still freezes at login even AFTER i uninstalled BootVIS. Does anybody know of a way to completely remove BootVIS??? it took a good 5 reboots to get it to the login screen...and im still not sure if it will boot to desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom