Can't access BIOS because monitor blank...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azam.biz

Baseband Member
I need to the access the BIOS on my new Sony Vaio desktop PC. Unlike any other computer I've had, the monitor (Samsung 193T) only begins to display after about 20 seconds, when Windows XP is starting.

When I start the PC and click F3 to access the BIOS, the startup procedure does stop and I believe I am in the BIOS editing screen, but I can't seen anything! The monitor is blank. Therefore I can't changing the BIOS settings.

I've spent hours trying to get around this annoying problem.

Can anybody help please?

Thank you - and Happy New Year :D

What VAIO Model is it ? Does it work just booting into windows ? or are you trying to repair it ?

Are you sure your monitor is getting an input signal?

Yesterday, I tried overclocking my FSB in the bios and my PC would not even post. When I turned it on, my monitor was getting no signal. I had to reset the CMOS on the motherboard so the machine would post and my monitor would get a signal for me to get back into the bios.

My suggestions are to try the following:

1) If you have a spare monitor, try using that to rule out a monitor problem.

2) If you have a spare video card, try using that to rule out a video card problem.

3) Try taking out a stick of memory in running in dual channel or try inserting another DIMM to rule out a memory problem.

4) If you were messing around in the bios, you could have screwed it up like I did in which case you will need to reset the CMOS on the motherboard. You will need to look at your mobo manual on instructions on how to do this. For me, I had an NFORCE 2 ASUS A7N8X mobo and I had to do the following:

unplug the power from the power supply
press power button to make sure power is drained from computer
find circular silver battery (right next to PCI slots)
pop battery out
move the jumper that is right next to it to 2-3 (the two pins away from the battery)
count about 5 seconds
move jumper back to 1-2 (two pins closest to battery)
replace battery
plug power back in
turn on and enter bios

Hope one of these suggestions sets you on the right path!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom