First Time PC builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibitzer

Solid State Member
This is the first PC that i am building. I am pretty new to the hardware side of computers so i need some help determining if what i have is good/compatible. This is what i currently plan on getting.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO NForce3 250 Socket 754
HardDrive: Hitachi 7200 RPM
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Memory: Corsair XMS 512MB x2
CD/DVD Drive: Samsung
DVD Burner: NU Technology
Case: Enermax ATX mid tower
Power Supply: Sparkle Power 350W

Is there anything else i need? im really a novice with this so try to dumb it down a bit. Also, am i going overboard on anything, i dont need a supercomputer, i just want something that is good for media and can play your average game.

just want to make sure, but you are saying if i buy all of those parts, i will have everything i need to build a computer? i dont need any extra wires or stuff like that? Also, the information on the case says there are 3 fans i think, do i need those other 2?

im not sure if it does or not. So you could probably buy the case and see if it comes with more than one. If it only comes with one, you probably want to buy 1 or 2 more so all that hot air doesnt get trapped inside your computer (you want good airflow). You can really pick up 80mm fans at any computer store so you can prety much hold off.
i almost missed it, but you need to have a fan for your CPU! That is one of the most important parts or you can say goodbye to that $150 3200+.
this is one of the better ones:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-038&depa=1
you can adjust the fan speed to fit your needs (because on full blast it sounds like a jet)
But that one is out of stock on Newegg, so you can find another site with that or go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-124-004&depa=1

Thanks for your help, this doesnt seem nearly as hard as i would have thought. As soon as i run this by the parents, im gonna start working on my computer. Thanks again.

Oh and i would recomend getting a higher wattage Powersupply, you might have problems with a low wattage one.

If you have the cash, I'd recommend stepping up your video card to the XT from the Pro, although the Pro is still a decent enough card.

Also, if you have the money, go with socket 939 for upgradability, the 754 sockets seem to be a dying cause now...

Thanks for your help. Unless the XT video card is a major improvement, i think ill stick with the pro. I dont plan on playing too many graphic intensive games, mainly just media. however i will upgradde to the 939 socket. Right now i have this.

CPU: Same as Before
MoBo: EPoX "EP-9NDA3J
Hard Drive: Same as Before
Video Card: Same as Before
Memory: 1 of the Corsair
CD/DVD drives: Same as Before
Power Supply: Allied 450W
Case: Same as Before
CPU Fan: KingWin

Does this look like a decent computer? Also, is Newegg the best place to buy? Thanks for your help.

Why upgrade to socket 939 if your not going pci express?

I dunno, maybe somebody else who knows more than me can clear this up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom