Hard Drive Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

geelongcats29

Solid State Member
PLZZZ Help.

I recently gotta a new computer and installed Windows 98 the the XP Pro Upgrade. I did not have a valid CD Key because I used the same one as this my old computer so i bought XP Home. Before I installed XP home I had 2 partitions of my Hard Drive C: (Which was 1.99GB) and E: (Which was about 75Gb). So I decided i will wip it all off and start from scratch so I installed Windows 98 and then I was planning to install Windows XP Home...

So I installed Windows 98 and was about to Install the XP home upgrade and when I went to install it it said that I did not have enough space need to install it.so i checked the size of my main hard drive and it was only 1.99GB which was exacly what it was b4 I intsalled Windows 98 but there was only the 1.99GB Partition not the main 75gb one plzzz help me I cant put any thing on my computer because there is not enough space.

PLZZZ Help.

If I've correctly understood your question.
I've seen my folders Windows - 1.65Gb + swp 383 Mb + Program Files - more than 5Gb. 2Gb - there is not enough for WinXP.
Try to change your partition. WinXP needs more space than 2Gb.

Thanks 4 that but Ive tried changing partitions in mS-Dos but had no luck and need to know detail of procedes to change the partitions in eaither MS-Dos or Windows 98 and when i treid in dos it only reconised the small partition C rather that the large partition E

What brand of hard drive is it ? Im not sure if you can boot from the XP Upgrade CD and reformat the whole drive . What i would do is go to the Hard Drive manufacture Website and get a utility that you can use to iether write zeros to the drive and reformat it(best ) or simply delete the partitions and reformat the drive.If its a Maxtor HD Maxblast 3 is good .I think even Maxblast 3 may work on other drives .

I use the program Ghost2001 but I've never partitioned big HDD.
I think other memebers of this forum will write useful information about it.

Boot with the 98 floppy (www.bootdisk.com)
and type:
FDISK

then delete both partitions and create a new FAT32 partition.

reboot with floppy

type:
format c:

then install 98

type:
setup

should work.

Thanks 4 that guys ill see what I can do ur all a big help.

Cappy the hard drive brand is Western Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom