Chassis fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassyjo10

Solid State Member
Hi I have a sony Viao PCV-RS432G and the chassis fan is making a noise after about 20 minutes,I took case off and see that the fan is slowing down and then stopping after so long. I assume I need to replace the fan,but how do I know what I need to get to replace it? I see no numbers nad calling sony does no good as they want me to order it thru them and I would rather not do that If possible. Thanks ,any help will be appreciated.

Measure the width of the fan, if it is about 3 1/8 inches then it is a standard 80mm fan. Next thing to do is find out what kind of end it has, could be a 3 pin plug connected to the motherboard or a 4 pin plug connected directly to a wire from the power supply, once you post this info I can help you more.

Josh

Thanks fro quick reply. I measured the casing around the fan and it is 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. The end is 3 wires connected to motherboard. Thanks

am I buying a fan or the whole black box attached to side of Pc that fan is in? Sorry never had to buy a fan before and have no ideal what to look for.So any fan that is a reg size that has the three wires is good or are there some better then others? thanks

can I run my Pc without the chassis fan until tomorrow? or is that to dangerous? thanks

Ya you can run you PC without the chassis until tomorrow or forever it wont really make a big difference it will just increase your system temps by 1 or 2 degrees which isnÂ’t bad for you PC at all so donÂ’t be worried.

Neosteve

I wouldn't suggest running it forever with no fan since it is there for a reason, one or 2 days most likely won't hurt much. Any after market fan will not come with the bracket to hold it in place, it will just fit in the bracket you have. Here is a link to a fan that should work for you
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=35-129-027&DEPA=1
I know it says that it is a 4 pin but it has ana dapter to make it 4 pin from a 3 pin. If you are going to the store to buy a fan just ask for an 80mm fan that connects to the motherboard with a 3 pin connector, they should be able to point you to the right fan. Make sure when you install the new fan you have it blowing in the case.

Josh

Take the sticker off the fan and if there is a rubber piece, remove it and take some grease (white lithium or silicone will do) and put a little bit in there. That should keep the fan going a little longer. I have done it before many times by the way. Remember to put the rubber piece if it has one and the sticker back on so no particles get in there.

I would Like to Thank all who responded and helped me with this problem. I am on my way to get a fan tomorrow. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom