recording guitar problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bango

Solid State Member
hey there, today i bought a gold plated 1/4" - 3.5mm adapter from radioshack so i could plug my guitar into my computer. first i plugged my guitar straight into the mic input to see if it would work, the sound came out clean like i expected, then i used one of distortion pedals to act as a preamp, once again it worked nicely. then i wanted to get my amp's sound into the computer, so i ran a cable from the back of my amp (peavey classic 30) from the "extension cabinet" output, (i figured it would work the same as what other amps have as "recording out" or whatever) and into my sound card. now the problem i got was that when i tried recording it - on windows sound recorder - the sound was basically overdriven, muffled, and louder, even when my amp was clean. It just sounds bad, hopefully it is only my soundcard because i plan on getting a nice one for recording for my birthday in a couple weeks. but does anyone else know what else it could have been? all my cables are good.

also; my soundcard is just a crappy soundmax digital audio

Dude, you aren't supposed to plug your head into the computer...the head outputs a LOT of power because it's gotta give quite a bit of wattage out to the speakers.

You can easily destroy the sound card being that your amps head will try and send a very powerful signal to something that isn't designed to except it.

That's why they tell you to never use a regular guitar cable to go from your head to the speakers..you need to get a specifically designed 'speaker cable' that's designed to sustain heavier power flows.

Simply put......don't try connecting your amps head to the computer again. It's not made for it in the slightest bit.

Stick with your pedal

That's why they are called 'amplifiers' because it substantially boosts that signal going into the speakers.

..the signal is distorting. your amp is sending an amplified signal that was supposed to drive a cabinet speaker. i wouldn't do that again... by plugging the amp into the computer, u will not get your amp sound. u will need a high quality microphone to record your amp to get your "amp sound". if u like the tone of your amp, u should skip the mic'ing bit and buy a guitar effect processor that models the amp tone u like. this would make it much easier to record your music and achieve the sound u want.

yea, i posted this somewhere else and they're pretty much saying the same thing, my sound card's still ok though. ill probably get a nice microphone, cause i'll be recording acoustic stuff and singing as well

if u got the funds, buy a little mixer.
Yup, you can generally find em pretty cheap nowadays for a nice easily portable small mixer with like 4 channels. Shouldn't be too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom