What is the deal with RAM speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But tell me Megadeth2 can you guaranty that it will clock better than XMS. All systems are different and therefore memory responds differently to what system you have. If he buys that GEIL memory he might not be able to get better timings than the XMS which has guaranteed those speeds with that memory. If all cheap ram was like yours everybody would buy it and there would be no more need for expensive ram anymore you see.
So itÂ’s rather better to buy XMS because you know for a fact that it can run at those speeds that it has on its specs. Also one more thing to remember you can also still tweak the XMS to run better then normal.

Steve

You also need to know that any of the crap about high performance RAM is non-sense.
This is not true.

Look at Nubius system and look at mine. High performance is not what people say it will be. Screw the XMS!
I only have kingston value because I'm BROKE

Anywho...Megadeth this is simply not true regarding high performance. You are paying for a lot more technical engineering and design gone into these chips. Some of the RAM companies use different chips and 4W4K3 could give you more detail on that.

Brands like OCZ Platinum Rev2 sticks are rated to upwards of 275MHz+ that's DDR550+

No valueRAM of any brand will be able to do that.

My kingston RAM doesn't even like going to 210 without it becoming a little unstable.

The fact is....unless you're planning on OC'ing your system AND RAM, then it's pointless to get high performance...

But if you ARE OC'ing the RAM and system, then high performance is the way to go.

And if you have friends who bought some and are bottlenecking their system then it sounds like they don't fully know what they are doing and is the case where they shouldn't have purchased high performance.

Simply put ValueRAM can not compete with high performance at all...but at the same time you have to look at it like this

ValueRAM - Nonoverclockers

High Performance - Overclockers especially.

Also like Neosteve is basically saying, you can't make a ValueRAM perform at high performance speeds because most valueRAM at best is 2.5-3-3-8 2T

whereas you can get a 'cheaper' version of high performance and get like 2-3-2-6 1T

Well, alright, but can you explain my RAM and the rest of the RAM. When I was building my system, I took recommendations from everyone. Even those who worked in the computer hardware business. Out of the 15 that I talked to, 14 said that the high performance series is just for show and they can guarantee that ValueRAM may very well be able to par or surpass high performance in performance while saving the buyer nearly hundered of Dollars. Can you explain that? Sure, Geil isn't the best, but try for something like Kingston ValueRAM. And yes, I can guarantee that ram will work better and oc fine.

I'm not overclocking, and because I'm not what would be a good solution?
THanks Nubius
Yan

Out of the 15 that I talked to, 14 said that the high performance series is just for show and they can guarantee that ValueRAM may very well be able to par or surpass high performance in performance while saving the buyer nearly hundered of Dollars. Can you explain that?
Yeah I can...they are wrong..simple as that.

I can guarantee you you will not get ANY ValueRAM up to the speeds that are possible with high performance.

ValueRAM like I said at best is generally 2.5-3-3-8 or so

High performance will be like 2-3-2-6 depending on what you get.. some are like 2.5-3-2-6 but still generally most high performance is CL2.

Anywho, I guarantee you I will be able to get that High performance chip up to a higher MHz with it's stock timings than that ValueRAM...go one step further and loosen the high performance timings to the same of the valueRAM IE 2.5-3-3-8 and I can even further guarantee you, you will probably be able to hit 215MHz (DDR430) without any problems...possibly just a boost in the Dimm voltage and you're set.

My kingston can hit 215MHz and technically be stable, but I've noticed that it doesn't really like that speed and that's with it's stock timings of 3-3-3-8 in my case and with a dimm of 2.7 opposed to stock 2.6

Since you don't have a sig with any speeds Megadeth how am I supposed to explain your RAM?

I don't know what you got, what speed, stock timings, and how far you've been able to push it...

The fact remains, if there wasn't any difference between value and high performance...likes been said above, then there wouldn't be two different markets for it.

It's the fact that the high performance is made for overclockers, but people throw down the money for it, for bragging rights.

I'm not overclocking, and because I'm not what would be a good solution?
THanks Nubius
Yan
just get the tightest timings ValueRAM has to offer which will probably be like 2.5-3-3-7

Definitely get CL2.5 unless the price difference is just ridiculous which in most cases the RAM should run that 2.5 even rated at 3, my kingston does, but that's no guarantee yours will..all sticks and systems are different of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom