First Time computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrifeX

Baseband Member
I have never built a pc before and i was looking for all the help i can get. I don't have a very big budget. I have a pc thats not very good at all for gaming (1.3 ghz 128mb ram 40 gig hard drive and Nvidia TNT 64). I was looking for a system that can play Half-life 2 and new games coming out. Please help (anything will help ex: guides, examples of systems, reliable places to buy parts, and any thing else that will help). Please help thanks :) .

www.newegg.com if your in the US and www.ebuyer.com if your in the UK. I think these are the most popular sites.

AMD64 proccessors are good for gaming. 512mb of RAM and if you budget allows i would say try and get 1024mb dual channel RAM (2 sticks of 512, exactly the same brand model etc).

Not sure about graphics card though, thats what m trying to get help with lol - im also trying to build a budget gaming system.

Thanks. I am not sure about a graphics card either :( i also am not sure what kind of ram is good quality and what isnt. I again will show my newbness by not knowing the difference in sockets of the motherboard either :(. any help

the kind of socket on your processor has to match the socket available on your motherboard. So if its a 939 amd 64 you need a mobo with a 939 socket.

RAM: crucial, kingston, corsair and some other one that i cant remember the name of, they are quite good as far as im aware.

thanks but for RAM whats the difference in performance from for example PC (A number) to ddr (a number).

PC(numnber) you wanna get 3200, thats the fastest *i think* you might wanna check that. Like wise with DDR(number) higher the better although ive never noticed a different number on normal RAM. Might wanna get someone to verify that.

does any one know of any guides on building a pc? I have the monitor, key board, cdr drive , dvd drive can i build a gaming pc by spending under 500 bucks ?

You can get

DDR2-533 (PC2-4200)
DDR2-400 (PC2-3200)

memory which is better than PC3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom