Dell OEM Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadahaf

Daemon Poster
My brother bought a dell :)mad: ) and I have a ok computer and I want to hook up he internet up to it (wirelessly) but I want to install win XP (it has 98 :mad: ) and my brother got the reinstall cd from his dell...I dont feel like buying xp but the cd says that windows xp should be installed only on dell systems...can I install it to my "homemade" system?

My brother has not gotten that prompt for activation yet and hes had the comp for 2 weeks...I dont et what they are saying, what if I installed xp and bot my brother and I were on the intenet?

Yes, some OEM versions are pre-activated. I doubt this version would install on anything but a DELL. Sounds like it is "preinstalled" with a recovery disk. You can try but I believe it is a waste of time.

Here, is the deal. Your brothers was preinstalled so he did not get the screen to activate it, though he should have gotten the screen to register it. New Dells ship with the Win XP on a separate CD and the other software on a different CD. If this is the case, yes it will install BUT you will get the window telling you that you must activate it within 30 days. You can buy an OEM Win XP in the $40 range if you check out the internet.

Nope, you would have to activate it. Unless you don't mind reinstalling every 30 days. Microsoft built the activation into Win XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom