PCs, routers, and networks, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickick said:
Josh1857 wrote: If your Cable modem happend to be USB someone else is going to have to help you

Yes the cable modem is connected to the 1 yr old PC by USB, does a router have a USB connection or outlet (for lack of a better word) in back of it? Can I connect the modem to the router with USB? Thanks for helping with the responses.

Hummmm, goes it also have a network jack or just USB? I don't know for sure how you would make it work with USB because none of the routers I have seen have any way to connect USB to them.

I know you can just connect the modem to the 1 computer then connect the 2 computers together with a crossover cable then set up internet connection sharing but i am not sure of the exact steps to make this work.

Josh

The modem does have a network ethernet jack and I believe the back of PC1 has an ethernet jack too but I'm not sure, here's a pic of the back of PC1:

75584030.jpg

Does that look like ethernet to you?

It could be, either an ethernet or modem jack. If you have a network wire laying around try to plug it in, if it fits it is a network plug.

Josh

PC1 that has the cable internet, has this under Network Adapters in Device Manager:

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection #4

And it looks like the pic I took of PC1, you think it's an ethernet jack?

well, you have an ethernet jack somewhere on the back of that pc. intel does have a VE and a VM line of ethernet controllers. take a network cable from the back of the computer (from this particular jack) and connect it to one of the ports labelled 1-4 on the router and see if you get a link light. you could also just plug a network cable into the jack just to see if it fits. it certainly looks like a network jack though in the picture.

Ok now how do you go about setting up 2 computers to share a cable internet (wireless) anyways? I'm going to be doing that too. I have the hardware so that's no problem. How are each PC configured so internet is possible? Installing the hardware is the easy part, but actually configuring all those IP addresses, Gateway, is scary. I'm getting cable internet through Comcast Cable and they are giving me 1 IP address. Thanks

if you plug the modem into a Router/Gateway in the WAN port, then plug the pc's into one of the other ports, or use wireless you can set them to "obtain ip address automatically"
you will have to have a Router/Gateway device that supports DHCP. DHCP running on the Router will do like this... the cable company will assign you 1 ip address... the router takes that on the outbound (modem connection) side... and assigns ip addresses to all computers that connect to it. also you will prob. want to join these computers to a workgroup... this doesn't much matter but will make file/print sharing easier...
sorry i don't have more time but i hope this gets you started

I just went through the exact same process with my own computers, if you need any further help from what has already been offered, just PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom