ultimate gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if i have an sli mobo can i still have one video card? or will it only work if i have 2?

does the geforce 6800ultra come in pcie or should i go with ati radeo x850xt pe
?.

Nope the AMD FX-55 can beat a p4 3.6 hands down no sweat cos it does more with each mhz than the p4

____________________________________________________so if i have an sli mobo can i still have one video card? or will it only work if i have 2?

First only NVIDIA card support SLI so if u can afford it get 2X6800Ultra. second yes 6800Ultra does come in PCi-E

I also know perfectly well what a RAID 0 is, but again, I was suggesting a RAID 0+1. I would much rather have 296GB of space all archived nicely than have 592GB and have a larger risk of losing 296GB worth of data.

ok, so if you know what RAID 0 is, then why are you talking about 592Gb of space? you would have 296Gb of space, (roughly) because both array would be worth 148Gb (roughly).

You're missing the point, sure he could go with 4 gigs of memory if he really wanted to, but he will NEVER have to use that much memory for at least a year, probably even more, and by then, much faster memory will be availible and his memory will probably be getting pretty obsolete. It's like buying a house with 5 bedrooms for one person, what's the point?

yeah, thats a valid point, but you have to consider this, if money was absolutely no problem for you, if you earned say $100B a day, (its just an extreme way of explaining this) then can u honestly tell me that you wouldn't spend the extra money and get 4Gb?

and lighten up man, i didnt mean it in a malicious way. i was just correcting you.

to answer the going question: I would wait for the Abit AN8-SLI as well, i am myself for my own system. If anything from abit could be used as a measure of how good this motherboad will be, its going to be astounding.

beautiphil said:
so if i have an sli mobo can i still have one video card? or will it only work if i have 2?

?.

If you have a SLI mobo it can work with 1 or 2 cards and will still work perfectly. Now you asked for the Ultimate gaming machine so i would suggest you get 2 cards instead of one.

As for the 6800 Ultra there isnÂ’t yet a PCI-E version out for it yet in the stores only the 6800GT which can be flashed to an Ultra which will do just fine. If you are only going to get one card then get the X850XT PE.
Hope this helps.

Neosteve

First only NVIDIA card support SLI so if u can afford it get 2X6800Ultra. second yes 6800Ultra does come in PCi-E

Sh0r_ty there isnt any PCI-E Ultra out yet in the stores if so please do tell me where becuase i've been looking for two and cant seem to find anything.

but if you think about it, it would be foolish to buy a PCI-E card that is not capable of SLI, look at it a different way, you could buy a 6800GT that IS capable of SLI, then a month (or however long you want) later you can go out and buy another of the same card, and by the time that would happen, the 6800GT would be cheaper anyway, that way you would get better performance than the single X850XT PE. whereas if you bought an X850XT PE straight away, and then a month or 2 later decided that you wanted to use SLI, you would have to go out and buy 2 cards, instead of 1.

so the real issue is: can you be bothered with the hassle?

If you are buying an SLI capable motherboard, why not use for what it is intened for? if you arent planning on using SLI then go out and buy an Abit AX8, which has a single PCI-E slot.

ya i was thinking about getting X850XT PE but then do i really need an sli motherboard if i only just want 1 video?

because X850XT PE is better then the 6800ultra isnt it?

and if i am going to get the X850XT PE whats a good motherboard that isnt sli and has space for up to 4gigs of ram,would the sli motherboard take the X850XT PE i heard it was for only nvidia.

so whats a good motherboard for the X850XT PE?

thank you all for your help :) im learning alot

thanks phil:)

Well a X850XT PE is better than a single 6800 Ultra but not two 6800 Ultras in SLI. As for the motherboard any SLI mobo can take the X850XT PE and work perfectly and it can also work with any PCI-E card nvidia or ATI. A good mobo for the X850XT PE would have to be the one Raekwon suggested which is the Abit AX8 which has a single PCI-E slot for the X850XT PE.
Glad I could help maybe one day you can help other people with computers if you stick around.

Neosteve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom