Torn Between Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
Ok, the Pentium M idea is starting to look a little hazy. I have to overclock to get it eve close to a stock Pentium 4. So, I'm thinking of an AMD Athlon 64 Winchester, but I still have a place in my heart for the Pentium M. What do you think I should get?

DFI 855GME-MGF
Intel Pentium M 725
Infineon 2 x 256 MB DDR333 DC
Generic 52x CD-ROM Drive
Lite-On 8x DVD-RW
Maxtor 60 GB HDD
Western Digital 80 GB HDD
On-Board Sound
On-Board Gigabit LAN
SkyHawk Case
450 Watt PSU Stock
Generic Floppy Drive
Abit R9550-Guru (Radeon 9550)

or

Abit AX8-3rd Eye
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm
Kingmax 2 x 256 DDR500 DC
Generic 52x CD-ROM Drive
Lite-On 8x DVD-RW
Maxtor 60 GB HDD
Western Digital 80 GB HDD
On-Board Sound
On-Board Gigabit LAN
SkyHawk Case
450 Watt PSU Stock
Generic Floppy Drive
Abit RX600 Pro-Guru

Thanks!

Why do you want a Pentium M?
Ill only get one once i get my phase change unit so i can try running some benches on it.
I say you should go for the AMD system its a bit more better and particle.

Neosteve

The Pentium M looks really sweet, but I don't like the way numbers have been stacking when running on stock. It seems the only way to get it to perform even close to a P4 520 is to oc it and that sort of becomes a problem.

I'll go AMD what do you suggest I change on it?

What would happen if I use DDR333 with an Athlon 64 Winchester? Would it really mess up overclocking? Is it possible to change the HT frequency where the DDR333 is oced while the proc is oced? I'm new at AMD so please help.

DDR333 would make your computer run slower.... alot slower actually.
I beg to differ, while it may decrease performance, you're not going to see a landslide. But if you have the money, go for at least DDR400 (what is it, like 10 bucks more?).

The rest of your parts all look like a pretty decent setup, maybe not the best out there, but they're great value right now.

In my personal experience, gaming was greatly affected by it ;).

Actually it shouldn't even cost more, or atleast mine memory on newegg didn't.

I have DDR333 from an old machine that I'm stripping parts from. Will it affect animation too much and power apps? Gaming, I have alot of games, but I have never seen a diff when going from 266 to 333 or 333 to 400. Will it mess up ocing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom