Browsing speed with wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halenstone

Solid State Member
I want to share my cable conection between my Xbox, PC, and soon a Pocket PC. I love my connection speed to the internet, which has been tested on many different sites like Cnets bandwith meter, to be about 1800 Kbps or 1.8 Mbps (same thing). Now wireless networks running 802.11b transmit at upto 11Mbps, right? If this is true, I figure that speed to drop down to about 3Mbps if I take into account distance and walls. That's almost two times as fast as my connection speed. So, would that mean that technicaly I wouldn't notice any difference in my connection speed to the internet? I'm also really considering installing a new 802.11g compliant network now that their poping up. But if either will make my connection speed suffer terribly, I'll just drill holes in my walls :( and I'd rather not. Plus I like the idea of surfing the web on a Pocket PC....hmm, maybe even a Tablet PC (once I hit that "Power Ball"!!). I'll appreciate any help to allow me to make an informed desicion. Thanks!

Halen!!

Download Accelerator Plus? Hmm...I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks. I suppose that means that I shouldn't notice much difference in connection speed. I'll take the plunge this comming weekend. I'll let yall know one of two things; either that it works amazing, or where you can find all the equipment on ebay!

yea too bad ftps frown on DAP+ because it tries to login more than once per ftp, and thats what i usually download :(

No, you wont notice a diff unless you are using bandwith on more than one device at a time.

darth, its kiloBITS 1/8th of kiloBYTES and 1800kbps isnt exactly 1.8mbps its actually 1.7578125 mbps

lol my bad dethangel, wasnt talkin bout bandwidth, i was talkin about the speed at which i download files AND DON'T FORGET TO DIVIDE BY 1024 :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom