Speed up your Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's important to note that your registry contains some very important information that is crucial to the correct operation of your OS, and that even the slightest mistake can entirely damage your OS. Make sure you know what you are doing before you make any modifications in the regedit.
Duly noted...I've edited it above :D

Thanks Nubius, cut my boot time down by 2 seconds. Went from 18.62 to 16.37
Awesome! That's how much mine was cut.

Hey Nubius, bootvis has royally screwed my computer. I can no longer boot into Windows. When it get to the XP laoding screen the progress bar freezes and so does the rest of my PC. I have tried rebooting manually probably 4 times now...and its still trying to run bootvis. I lowered my overclock down to see if maybe that was the problem, and still no boot, just freeze. how can i stop the bootvis program? and why is my computer not booting? is it a SATA problem maybe?!

EDIT: i've loaded failsafe defaults and stil no boot. i turned off PSU and powered everything down...stilll no boot. how can i get this crappy program to stop running? my PC was rock stable last night...i played NFSU for hours, and i watched Matrix reloaded/revolutions all the way through. It looks like i might have to reformat to solve this, but even that might not work....this sux :(

It appears M$ no longer supports bootvis with SP2 installed. If you have SP2 installed be careful running this program. a quick Google search gave me alot of people running SP2 who can not boot to Windows again after installing it. EXACTLY my problem. A few had to reformat, and the rest i read didn't find a solution. :( whaaaaa!!! i don;t know if i have anymore registry keys for XP Pro...i hope the one i used last time isn't maxed out in usage.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=18638

"right now if i run bootvis it will stop the booting up of windows, have to press the reset button and choose last known good configuration"

i hope that works!!!!

EDIT: Safe mode, last know configuration both have no effect. if anyone knows a way to STOP bootvis from running...i would really appreciate it.

After ~10 reboots it loaded into Windows...but now my mouse and keyboard have stopped responding, and my computer seems to think its running at 1MHz...its so slow i think it might have frozen.

Froze...no boot again. and this time enabling autouptate ESCD thing doesn't work. i guess i have to reformat, i have't found a different solution yet.

Nubius i think you should place some kind of warning, as it seems M$ doesn't support it with SP2 anymore. Your instructions are fine, it's just the program itself seems to give alot of people problems if they are on SP2.

4W4K3,

Try this It might help

I tried Bootvis with Service Pack 2._ It worked right up until the panel that reads "Bootvis: Optimizing ... Optimizing the system for boot performance" and further states that the process might take several minutes, most of the message being grayed out._ Here, it just stopped doing anything._ However the dialog went away with ALT+F4._ So I don't know what this thing is worth to me now that SP2 is installed (no change in startup time that I could tell), though BV didn't trash anything.>

paint

Awake: try a repair install or chkdsk using the xp recovery console fom your disc.

Its best to run bootVIS on a clean install.

TheMajor said:
Awake: try a repair install or chkdsk using the xp recovery console fom your disc.

Its best to run bootVIS on a clean install.

I will try that when i get my dad's XP CD's back, i know he has a few with recovery stuff like that. If i reinstall XP i dont think i'll be trying this again, i dont want to risk a 3rd install lol. my PC boots in ~12-13secs i think...i can wait that long.

didn;t mean to discourage anyone of course. just would hate for anyone else to have my bad luck with it.

Well shoot that sucks 4W4K3, I didn't even see anywhere where it specifically was stating that there would be problems with SP2. I'm still using SP1 specifically because I've seen more people with problems after installing it than not.

If you don't have SP2 then it should work flawlessly although I understand your reason for not wanting to now.

Blah, man that's lame.....freakin microsoft.... IMO SP2 has brought nothin but troubles....and this makes like 2 or 3 programs that would normally do good for a system but winds up hurting it with SP2 installed....

Sorry 4W4K3 I never saw anything about it screwing up for SP2, I simply saw the notices even on microsofts own site that simply said they no longer supported it, nothing about it crashing with SP2.

I'll edit my post though and add that warning also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom