Replacement fan is hard to find.. time to mod something

Status
Not open for further replies.

labiere

Beta member
I dropped my laptop (whoops) and my CPU cooling fan lost a blade -- amazingly the only discernable damage I can find.
Still the fan efficiency has dropped and demanding operation brings the CPU to dangerous temperatures.

My fan is from SUNON 60mm x 10mm 5Vdc 1.4Watts..
part GM0506PFV2-A g.(9).B325
(3-pin I believe -- the laptop kind of has the works hidden away and out of site -- BTW anyone know how to safely open an MDG laptop so I can get to the board??)

It seems Sunon no longer makes or carries the part. I have been looking on the web and at electronic stores for a fan that nearly matches the one I had -- so far no luck. Part of the problem is that I don't know what specs I can safely vary here. It's not like I have had to replace a fan before.

One thing I would like to know is can I substitute a 12V fan instead? Many sites decribe an easy wiring mod where fans can receive 5, 7, or 12 Volts depending how they are hooked up to the power suppy. Since I am using a laptop, I don't know if that option will be available on my board.

Now I have found a supplier that matches most of my specs, but the wattage differs. I suppose I want to know if I have any play in this variable. Will I do damage to something if get a fan specifying lower or higher wattage than the one I am taking out?

I want to replace my broken one with one at least as powerful, but if it turns out I can buy a high-end one with better cooling, let me know! I will be in your debt.

Thanks

Thanks a bunch. Now I know what I need to get. Hopefully I'll have the part in a day or so.

Replacement Fan

I need to replace the fan in my ecs computer so let me know where you found the replacement fan or what you need to do.

you should be able to use any 60mm fan as long as it has the 3 pin connector; sometimes you can just take off the connector of another 60mm fan and solder the 3 pin connector to the wires yourself
I've had to solder connectors back onto fans myself a few times, you should have no problem

That is what I was planning on doing but I need fast turn around on the machine and I do not think I will get this from ECS.

The fan is 2 wire not three. Does anyone know of a good replacement one that will fit the ECS laptops. Mine is the G736 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom