Can you get caught for downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
I know its illegal to download software, but how do companies catch people.
Are there steps to take so that you don't get caught?

umm yeah, pay for a download online... newegg has a few... lavasoft has some, symantec has a few...
if your asking, can i get busted using a private ftp, prob. not. if you're asking if bearshare, kazaa, klight, emule and others like them are risky, then YES. just buy it. if you can't afford it, try a linux version... they're usually FREE. if you can't do that then you prob. have no buisness or no need for it in the first place. thank you and have a nice day.

sorry, i know this will prob. double post...

but i have to say this! if you could test drive a car... would you look for a way to remove the VIN number, repaint it or otherwise hide the dealership's ability to identify the car?!?!?!?!?
NO so why would you want to know if you could get away with steeling a car!?

SAME THING!!!
go buy it. and yes i know what my sig is...

if you just want to know how they catch you... google it

Certain companies will track your IP address. If you're lucky, you'll only get a letter in the mail from that company warning you never to download their material again. If you're not lucky, well...yeah.

-Dan The Man

OIDanTheManIO said:
Certain companies will track your IP address. If you're lucky, you'll only get a letter in the mail from that company warning you never to download their material again. If you're not lucky, well...yeah.

-Dan The Man

hnmmmmm, you know this by personal exp?

yeah i'm not thinking M$ is going to come after the average "jak" for installing a cracked or copied version of an OS os other software.The companies will take actions if your were saaaaay.......a distributor of these illegal copies, like in mass quantity.....

no matter what if you download cracked or non-redistribution software from a P2P site you are stealing and taking a chance of getting that "letter". And stealing will eventually catch up.

A lot of companys distribute legal trial software on the internet. Its totaly legal to dl that software. You can find keys and serials any where to make the trial software become full software.

RE:

persianxballer the easiest answer is yes you can be tracked down and located. With recent court rulings ISP's are being forced to turn over your info.

Now for the easiest way to avoid being caught. Whenever connecting to the file share network connect through a proxy server not on your LAN. The only problem is free proxy servers have very limited bandwidth. So I would definately set my own up offsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom