GRINDING/BUZZING SOUND.....is it the HD or..?(HLP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straafe

Solid State Member
I have a Dell DImension Desktop (not a big Dell fan, but it was free, it's my only PC). Anyway, lately at startup I've been hearing a terrible grinding noise from insode the computer, it usually quiets down a bit later after startup, but a grinding/buzzing noise is always there to some degree.

I immediatly figured it was a HD problem, that the HD was grinding. I went to staples and picked up a new 80GB maxtor HD and installed it (removed the old one entirely). I re-installed windows at that point but the grinding noise IS STILL THERE! The noise is basically identical so I am starting to think that it was neve a HD issue, if it wasn't what else could possibly be grinding like that!? Maybe a fan somewhere? I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I obviously have no clue what's going on, please help me!

-Ben

PS_ if it helps im running off of a GeForce FX 5200 256 MB Vid Card (ya, I know it's not the greatest), I havea GIG of staple's RAM and that's a bout all I think you'll need, plz help me out here!

Thanks for that, definately isn't a CD or floppy, so I guess it must be a fan somwhere....but which one? There's one on the Video Card..the motherboard probably, any other ideas on that and also on rectifying this issue? THANKS A LOT!

-Ben

EDIT: I doubt this, but is it possible that the new maxtor is grinding liek the old one? That would be incredibly lame with a brand new product, but i need to figurethis out...

If you can get the case open (cheap stab at Dell), take all the fans out and give them a nice clean, you may also want to clean out the inside of the case to get rid of any dust or other debris.

Use a pressurized air thingy and/or take out the vid card and see iof that stops the noise

Thank you, but I don't know where all the fans are located, but I'll try and figure it out, can't be too hard. Thanks a lot guys! Anyone else had the issue or knows what's wrong?
thanks,

-ben

EDIT: ya, i was thinking aobut putting back in my older ATi card to see if that helped, u mean use pressurized air to clean out the debris, right? Anyway, thanks you, I wil ltry it all out.

Thanks everyone....the whole gawddam problem turned out to be my cheap ass Nvidia GeForce FX 5200's fan...... Pisses me off >_< how gay is that

well at least you have an extra 80GB storage now

Thermaltake have descent coolers you can use instead of the stock one, the orange orb or crystal orb are pretty good but cheap coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom