DVDRW drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I recieved a new dvd+-rw dual layer drive, and have been having problems with it. I installed it, windows found the drivers for it and installed the software that came with it, but cant seem to play a cdrom disc in the drive. The drive can only read dvd discs not cd discs. Its the stragnest thing. I have tried physicaly unpluging the drive, removing it through control pannel and installing it again. But I cant do anything to get it to play cd discs. It says it can read and write to cd disics, but I havent been able to. I dont know what else to do.

Thanks for any help.

I'd take it back, it sounds more like a problem with the actual drive itself rather than a problem with the installation.

When archiving your old DVD movies, it may become difficult considering that the majority of DVDs are well over 4.7 GB and dual layered DVDs (9.4 GB discs big enough to hold an entire movie) are priced over 8 dollars a disc. So, in this case, I would suggest using DVD Shrink (freeware that is available at their website). DVD Shrink allows you to chose which features you would like (languages and sound), and which scenes you would like (entire movie, deleted scene(s), extras, etc). After your desired scenes are chosen, DVD Shrink then automatically compresses the video quality (lessened picture quality that I don't seem to notice) in order to fit in onto a cheap, single layered blank DVD disc.

However, DVD Shrink only does archives of movies that you own and not data.

As for burning software, just like gaara said, Nero is amazing DVD burning software.

hmmm well it a dv+rw so it can't read cdrom disc. I may be wrong but I think it can only read dvds unless it a dvd/burner. I would look over the hardware like the cable and where u connected it and all that. If that not the problem I would return it. What brand is your burner??

OIDanTheManIO said:
Nero. I use it for absolutely everything I burn.

-Dan The Man

I used to use Nero. When I got my DVD burner and installed the "Suite" I was not impressed. I could of rolled back to 5.0 but....CDburnerXP is by far better and less intrusive than Nero 6+

The hardware listing on the box and manual states that it can read dvd and cdrom, write dvd and cdrom, rewrite dvd and cdrom. Its a dual format and dual layer drive. I believe the brand is I/O Magic. Its the best drive at compusa. I like nero for cd burning, but they gave me the nero suite and i havent tried it out yet, but is there anything else that might be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom