Speed up your Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
**ATTENTION**

The following information is intended for those who have atleast a moderate level of computer skill and familiarity.

Please note that when going into the Registry it is imperative that you follow my instructions precisely. Any mistakes to the Registry can cause you to completely mess up your OS and possibly lead to a format if the wrong keys are changed.

Microsoft no longer supports this tool and as a result may not work with SP2 installed. I would advise in NOT trying this program if you are using SP2 as most have had trouble with it working correctly.

Use at your own risk

The following info is for Windows XP only. Sorry other guys....UPDATE! :D

There is a nice little tool that you can use to analyze your system startup. From disk usage to CPU Usage, driver delays, BIOS initialization and a few other key details to finding out what causes your system to boot as slow or as fast as it does.

The program is called Bootvis. Now originally this was a support program given out on microsoft.com but I just recently went there and they no longer support it.

The file can be found, however, here at majorgeeks.com

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Install this Program and it should come as a microsoft installer file which should be named this Bootvis.msi

Double click it and it will install it for you.

Now once you have the program up and running head up towards the top and click Trace>Next boot

You can select Next boot + Driver Delays if you want to see how much time your video drivers and things like that take in the total boot process time.

Now when you go to Trace > Next boot it will ask you how many times you'd like it to reboot your computer. The more times you have it reboot the more accurate your time will be. 5 repetitions is a good amount for a fairly decent average although if your system seems to boot up around the same time everytime and you just want a close estimate just doing 1 reboot will do the trick also.

Upon rebooting just wait...It'll seem like the program isn't working but after a brief moment it'll pop up saying it's saving the Trace. Shortly after that a graph will then popup with the statistics and how long it took.

Hover over any bar to find out more details. You'll see a line going verticle on the graph and this is how long it took for your machine to boot up. Hover over the top of that line which has a square and it will tell you the time it took to boot up down to .01 seconds

Now that you know how fast your machine starts up normally. Time to optimize it and test again to see how much of an increase you got.

Now go to Trace > Optimize System and just let it do it's thing.

It will finish up and now you are done optimizing!

Now just go back to Trace>Next boot and upon rebooting you'll see your new optimized startup time.

Depending on how well your computer boots anyway, that'll depend on how big of an increase you see.

My computer took 13.70 Seconds to boot. After optimizing the system it went down to 11.43 Seconds. That's a pretty good boost in time considering how fast it booted to begin with.

People who have slower computers obviously will notice more of a gain. Computer taking upwards of 45 seconds may see up to a 20 second increase but every system is different.

Hopefully you should have a nice little increase in boot time unless of course it was already fairly fast to begin with.

Boot Defragment

Another quick suggestion for a little boost in boot up time is to make sure that Boot Defragment is Enabled. You can do this via the registry.

Click Start > Run and type in Regedit

This will bring up your registry.

Now navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Dfrg/BootOptimizeFunction

Once you get to that key, click on the BootOptimizeFunction and make sure it's value is set to Y

This will aid in a quicker start up.

I hope this information has been useful to you geeks and gals out there and may everyone have a hasty boot! :D

- Nubius

Any comments, or posts on how much of an increase you gained from it are welcome :)

WOO! BootVis is the greatest. I've used it since I got XP. It's a shame MS doesnt support it anymore and you have to download it from a 3rd party site.
GREAT proggy anyway!

I shaved off... about 45 seconds one time. It was REALLY draggin then I remembered I still had it and pulled my boot back to the regular 15-30 seconds or so. I'ma run it real quick and see what I'm at.

Anyways, thanks for the refresh.

Oh, and dont forget to mention, sometimes when youre optimizing it takes a mintue or two for it to start re-arranging stuff, so dont get aggitated because its not working. Just wait!

I've heard it makes it take longer to shut down.
Where did you hear this? It did no such thing in my experience with it.

It shouldn't do anything regarding shutdown. It mainly rearranges your boot files to the outside of the hard disk for faster access.

There are a couple tips you can do for faster shutdowns, but that'd be another help session ;)

Oh, and dont forget to mention, sometimes when youre optimizing it takes a mintue or two for it to start re-arranging stuff, so dont get aggitated because its not working. Just wait!
Yeah...the screen stays up there though and says 'Optimizing' and if anyone bothers to look at their HD Activity LED then they'll see it's doing something, but yeah it's still a valid point.

The program looks like it's doing nothing sometimes, but it really is rearranging all your startup files.

Thanks a lot I remember reading about this before but then forgetting about it. Now I remember and can't wait to see my times. I think I get on average 10-12 seconds... but sometimes the compouter wants to act funny and takes like 25+... idk my comps wierd like that, but i love it.

I think it's important to note that your registry contains some very important information that is crucial to the correct operation of your OS, and that even the slightest mistake can entirely damage your OS. Make sure you know what you are doing before you make any modifications in the regedit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom