Never ending automatic restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hartman

Baseband Member
OK I just reformatted the hard drive on my old P3 machine. Everything was working fine before then. I installed Win2k on it, restarted it, now it will automatically restart itself everytime it gets past the Win2k load screen. I have no idea why it is doing this and what I can do to fix it.

Any suggestions?

1. learn DOS
2. boot to floppy
3. search C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt

hmm but it's a .evt... you may have to slave the drive on another pc and find the file that way, then you can open the file in event viewer to see if there are any clues in there... but it almost sounds like a hardware issue.

1. make sure no usb devices are plugged in
2. reseat the vid card and memory
3. remove all pci cards not necesary for operation.

see if that helps.

I'm not sure what the heck it is. I've reformatted it before with the same components and it never did this.

The only thing I've added since is a 120gb slave drive.

Well I removed every PCI card except the vid card and disconnected the slave drive and it still does the same thing. Hopefully when I get back to school and install XP pro it will take care of whatever hardware or driver conflict I'm having.

I've reseated the ram and video card, and switched the the primary video card in the bios from PCI to AGP since it's an AGP card and still does the same thing. Frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom