Upgrade time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
It is high time my PC was upgraded. Currently I am running an Athlon XP 1900+ on an ASUS A7S333 mobo with 1gb of 2100 DDR and a Geforce 3Ti 200 128mb. The other components in my system are all fairly new (Audigy 2, 2x hds, etc) and I wont be upgrading them.

So I want to get

A 939 mobo... which chipset is best to go for? I have seen a few nforce 4 boards... are they any good or what about the VIA K8T800Pro VIA VT8237?

An AMD Athlon 64 processor ... was thinking the 3200 winchester

Graphics card ... was thinking geforce 6600GT 128ddr

Memory ... was thinking 2x 512 TwinMos DDR 400 dual-channel (3200)

Between the cash I got for Christmas and the cash i think I can afford to spare from my wages I think i can afford to spend around £400

Has anyone got any sugestions as to these components or others in my price range that perhaps I should look at instead??

Many thanks

Hygor

If you want a good 939 motherboard i would suggest a MSI K8N Neo2 platinum motherboard. It uses the nforce 3 ultra chipset and can OC very well. I just got one today and it seems to do wonders. I got it with a 3200 winchester as well and some Kingston Hyper X PC3200. So far it did 250 MHz at 2225 timings which isnÂ’t bad at all. To bad it inst my stuff but everything seems to be great.

Neosteve

neosteve: I have been looking at that board but arent I better getting hold of an nForce 4 board rather than getting an nForce 3

beedubaya: I havent seen a 256mb version of the GT here in the UK, just the standard version... well i suppose I shall keep looking.

Cheers for the advice guys!

yeah neither have i hygor, mind u its difficult to find the 128 gt, its never in stock!!!

The MSI K8N Neo2 platinum is one of the best 939 boards out there at the monument I think if you want to do some nice overclocks. As for the nForce 4 and nForce 3 I suggest you wait for the nForce 4 Ultra to come out and then get that but make sure it has a 2xPCI-E slot as well as a 16xPCI-E slot so you can try do SLI on the ultra Chipset if you really want to. If you want to go this route I suggest MSI's new K8N NEO4 featuring the nFroce 4 Ultra chipset.

Neosteve

yeah definitely get an nforce4 board, even i fudont use sli straight away eventually you will be able to afford that extra card and therfore that extra performance boost!!

Yay... jsut found and ordered a pci express version of the card with 256mb from dabs.co.uk!!!! infact just ordered my full upgrade from them!!!

The specs I have chosen are:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ S939

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 nForce 4 -4 X PCI-E

Gigabyte GeForce PCX6600GT 256MB PCI-E DVI-I VO

2x512mbDDR PC3200 (400)

wow sweet!!!! trhat will be immense, can u affors a second 6600gt!!!! it would be even better!!

two graphics cards... thats obscene... nah i cant afford that... (I can barely afford what I bought)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom