ASUS A8V Deluxe...what do u think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cappy said:
i havent had any problems with mine.Although after using Auto Overclock you have to use reset to defaults in order to get your CPU voltage back down.

oh man, i am having some "issues" w/ my A8V board.

after spending numerous hours last night, i gave up and decided i needed to sleep.

now, i'm at work, going through every tech, FAQ, support i can find and the only thing i think might be my problem is how installed the RAM sticks.

the PC will boot and all the hardware runs, but it will NOT display ANYTHING!

after reading some more on the AsuS website, i realised that if you use a AMD 3000+ CPU, you have to use only 1 RAM stick in slot B1 to boot... could that be my problem?

i really, really hope it's not a dysfunctional AGP slot, cause i tried 2 different working VGA cards, and still no POST screen at boot up.

i'll try installing the RAM w/ just the 1 stick, and hope it works, but Cappy, did you experience any other problems while booting up? and do you have any advice as to why the display won't work?

thanks.

I have an Asus...They don't give the best manuals in the world so if you get it, watch out. I have a Asus P4P800SE, and there isn't much in the manual. =/

I had no problems with mine use the 2 blue slots for dual channel im using the Crucial ballistix.I do recall a small issue on the 1st boot but dont recall what it was.I do remeber unhooking and reconnecting all the power conectors even the CPU fan socket from the MB .Carefully Reseated memory and AGP.After i finished installing my operating system and updateing chipsets etc ... I added my other PCI cards 1 at a time.

Cappy said:
I had no problems with mine use the 2 blue slots for dual channel im using the Crucial ballistix.I do recall a small issue on the 1st boot but dont recall what it was.I do remeber unhooking and reconnecting all the power conectors even the CPU fan socket from the MB .Carefully Reseated memory and AGP.After i finished installing my operating system and updateing chipsets etc ... I added my other PCI cards 1 at a time.

cap,

please (if you can remember) tell me what the minimal things you hooked up to the mobo to get the POST screen....

i tried it in dual mode using the blue memory slots, still nothing...

i'm going home for lunch, and try again then....

but usually when there's an error, doesn't the mobo start *beeping* or make some noise?

eh...i'll post back after lunch.

thanks.

memory /agp/hard drive/cd- rw/floppy
What kind of memory do you have ?
Try single using 1 stick in DIMM B1 if 1 stick works remove it and try the other stick in DIMM B1 . you may have 1 bad memory module .In order to hear the post beaps youll need to install a speaker to the MB go ahead and reconnect all the connections on the MB especially the CPU fan i distinctly remember unhooking that because i had no post.Also what type of video card do you have ?

Cappy said:
memory /agp/hard drive/cd- rw/floppy
What kind of memory do you have ?
Try single using 1 stick in DIMM B1 if 1 stick works remove it and try the other stick in DIMM B1 . you may have 1 bad memory module .In order to hear the post beaps youll need to install a speaker to the MB go ahead and reconnect all the connections on the MB especially the CPU fan i distinctly remember unhooking that because i had no post.Also what type of video card do you have ?

i am on cloud 9 right now! (well, maybe 8 1/2)

ok, i did what u suggested...

-only put 1 DIMM (Crucial 512mb 3200) in B1 slot
- unhooked ALL peripherals, even the CPU (AMD64 3000+) fan, reconnected them again.
-turned it on...and then i saw the beautiful green ASUS welcome screen!!!!
-removed the DIMM and put in the other 512mb stick and that worked too!

man, who knew huh? lots of head scratchin' to figure that out.

the joy in my heart was like a child's x-mas wish come true, truly!

i have a Radeon 9800Pro 128 (made by PowerColor) btw.

since i was running out of time during lunch, all i saw was the setup screen, then it said "error finding OS"..

so what should my next step be?

configure the bios
and then, put the XP disc into the drive and it'll format/run it automatically right?

i'll post back w/ the results.

thanks a lot for your help Cap!

First of all, if you are thinking of getting a non-SLI PCIe board for Socket 939, I would wait until stores like ZZF and Newegg have the Abit AX8 in stock. I personally think Abit is the best for overclocking and quality. The only company I think that ties with them is DFI. Nubius is right, Asus has gone down in quality and the other brands such as Chaintech or Soltek or even Epox don't even deserve a look. If you want value, then I love ASRock. It is perfect for value and the boards are cheap and quality too.

Yea you need to config bios for what you are and are not using
I would also get the latestReleased bios and install that first if you no how. Then yea format and install OS Then update the chipsets install DX 9.0c then install the video card then service packs for the OS .And any other hardware usually sound then the rest.
Glad you got it going :) i had the same little funky screwed up problems :[ .But i was able to prevail on my 1st AMD System

Cappy said:

Glad you got it going :) i had the same little funky screwed up problems :[ .But i was able to prevail on my 1st AMD System

hey cappy,

everything's up and runnin' now!

it's also my first AMD build, so far so good.

however, the only concern right now i have is the DIMM slots aren't reading it the way the manual suggests.

for instance, i can boot w/ 1 DIMM stick in B1, and it says i can run dual channel if i put an identical stick in A1, which i did, and it wouldn't boot.

so i tried to put it right next to B1 in B2 and it worked just fine!

strange, but how can i tell if it's running in dual channel mode?

how do you have your Ballistix's set up?

i guess if it reads it as 1GB then i'm not complaining, but it's just a bit odd, any thoughts?

thanks again!

ps, oh wait, the website says to update to ver. 1008 and i haven't yet..just used the drivers that came w/ the mobo. damn, i'd better do that tonight...that could be why it doesn't read it in dual mode.....

Im using both blue slots There is currently 2 versions of this board out i purchased version 2 Revision . See if a BIOS update address the problem your having . Im running the newest released BIOS version out .The BIOS updates do address alot of issues as with any board .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom