This Doesn't Seem Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
My friend has an Intel Pentium 4 2.4C and he has overclocked it 3.2 GHz (3204 MHz). He is using a 267 MHz base clock which means 12 x 267 = 3204. What is amazing is that this is a Northwood. He is using an Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard. When he benched it, it outperformed an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 3800+ in everything. My friend is using DDR550, so the memory is downclocked, but what I can't understand is how the hell does the P4 outperform an A64. Somebody, enlighten me.

I don't have an answer but that doesn't sound right at all. Even at those speeds I don't see how it could ever manage to outperform an AMD 64, unless there was something else that he changed.

Could it be that benchmarks were fudged? I'm not wiz at AMD, but this doesn't seem right to me. Sure, I use Intel and even then it doesn't seem right to me. First of all, How do you obtain a 33% overclock on a Northwood. The Northwoods had trouble ocing even 250 mhz let alone a whole 804 mhz.

sometimes peole get lucky, certain odd processors out of a batch have different boundaries, that are extended!!! Thats all i can think of!

i dont see how he got that high of a clock and stable thats extreme :) what kind of cooling is he using

The benchmark is either faulty, it's biased, or both, because I don't think that's possible. Good for your friend though, we all wish we could overclock proccesors like that, geez!

Hey, I overclocked my Pentium 4 520 to 3.73 GHz and that is almost a 1 GHz overclock. I'm using the stock heatsink! Surprised even more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom