Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse don't work after installing Video Card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keyboard flashing may mean something. I'd recommend contacting your manufactor for further help. It seems like something is corrupted. Also a burning smell means something is overheating, if it is you do NOT want to turn your computer and I'd recommend taking it to a qualified computer tech.

I smelled the burn yesterday when I installed my Video Card.
But now I don't smell it anymore.

Whenever a new video card fires up you allways smell that .Mine had a smell . My keyboard lights would not lite up as well .The computer booted as usual but with nomonitor display / mouse or keyboard . I had to do the power off option/clear cmos/remove battery/disconnect the 20 pin motherboard conector etc... several times.It was pretty frustrating .And if your able to get it to boot , boot into your bios like a said above.Then youll need to repair the OS by booting from the CD/floppy or reformat and re-install the OS.Did you build this computer ?or is it a gateway/dell etc... If so what make and model is it?

It a HP a720n.
Was your Monitor not able to detect the computer or it can but its just no picture because mines is not able the detect the computer. It says it unable the get a signal for the computer.
And how many times did you have to clear the CMOS?
Do I also have to clear the CLRPW?
How long do I have to leave the CLRTC on clear?
How many times did you do over again?
Do I still have unplug the fan even if it works? I tried to but its stuck hard into the motherboard.

THANKS !

I smelled the burn yesterday when I installed my Video Card. But now I don't smell it anymore.
Ok, that really isn't good. Cappy you said that that always happens...It never happened with me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but could something have gone ugly and gotten itself fried upon start up?:confused:

i dont believe he ment that smoke was profusely coming out the case and a strong burnt wire smell was overwhelming .
Like i said i spent about an hour going through this process .Many attempts and no monitor response so i held down the power switch till it shut off then went through ALL the steps .Untill i was able to get a monitor/keyboard response .
I forgot to also mention that i went ahead and removed the other PCI cards that where installed sound card and 56k modem.
Dont try this but i also got frustrated enough that i smacked the top of the computer hard enough that the Motherboard Battery popped out lol.Eventually the darn thing started working and i was able to reinstall WIN 98 and installed the PCI VIDEO card.But i didnt disable the onboard video just in case a problem occured again.I have it set in BIOS to PCI and in WIndows its showing up as problemed device but it isnt causing any problems.Actually the system is running pretty good .

I don't think I can fix it. I tried my times. The same thing happens. I'm going to try to go back to Circuit City and ask them if I can return it or fix it. I only had a two week warranty with Circuit City and have two weeks to return it. And 3 days has pasted (but don't know if its extend for the hoildays). If I can't return it or they don't fix it then I have to go thru HP, which sucks because I have 3 HP's. 2 of the 3 had problems when I first brought it and had to ship it to them.

Cappy, When you got your computer to work again, was everything in your hard drive still there?
I want to get somethings from my hard drive, before I try to give it back to HP or Circuit City.
Is there anyway I can get the stuff out? Like maybe move the drive to another computer?

yea everything is still there but you have to enable the display adapter within windows device manager in order for the OS to use it.Thats where you need to use your OS CD or a recovery CD/floppy in order to turn it back on.But your 1st problem is getting your system to post again.If you had alot of files that you wish to keep i would stick the hard drive in another system and copy the files to another hard drive or mirror the drive .Then send it to a repair shop.1 more thing you may try is unplug the hard drive and see if it will post sorry i cant be of any help :(

These are the steps I used:
1.I unpluged the Power Cord and hold the power button for a few seconds.(to let the remaining energy out)
2.Then I opened the cover for my computer.
3.I unpluged the Motherboard Power Supply(ATXPWR).
4.I took out the battery for the CMOS.
5.I hold the power on button again and let the computer sit for a while with the Motherboard and Battery out.(about 10 minutes)
6.I then took the thing out of the CMOS pins 2 and 3(which is the default) and moved it on to pins 1 and 2 for a few seconds.
7.I then put the battery back in and the power for the motherboard.
8.Then I put the cover back on and turn the computer back on.

And you know the result...
Did I do anything wrong or is there any more I should do?

THANKS !

Try taking out any other PCI cards and leave them out until you post.Unplug the CPU fan from the MB and reconect it. I left the covers off the case because i did those steps several times in a row before i had any luck .In fact i still have the covers off ive been testing the system for stability before i give it a clean bill of health .In your case Not much more left to do unfortionately .
I beleive your system is repairable but without my hands on it i can only offer advice .Id try disconecting the HD ribbon from the
MB also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom