Window's won't detect CD ROM Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
First off, this is probably in the wrong section, but it has to do with Windows AND my CD-ROM drive.

Today I just purchased a 250GIG Western Digital harddrive. This now puts me up to 3 harddrives! So, I figured I could just connect to it to the same IDE as the my CDROM. But with my harddrive, it doesn't detect my CD rom drive! However, WITH my harddrive DISCONNECTED (power) my CDROM works perfectly fine.

My motherboard (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe) has this "Promise FastTrak 378 Controller", so I used my IDE-cable, plugged it into there, set an 'array' (as my BIOS asked me too). Now my CD Rom drive *both* work according to Windows and my BIOS.

But one problem remains. In Windows, I am able to format my harddrive, access it, and do whatever. The only down fall is, I cannot access my CD-ROM drive AT ALL... the weird thing is, when I boot up and go into BIOS it IS detecting the CD-ROM Drive.

When I first start up, before the Windows XP loading screen, I push the button on my CD-ROM drive and it'll open up, and attempt to read a disc. As soon as I see Windows XP screen, I push the button and I get -nothing-!

Thank you :beard:

No, that didn't help. It still isn't there. Maybe delete the key rather then just the data? And upperfilter didn't even exist, so I created it..

I've recently had this same exactly problem putting together a PC for a friend. What I ended up doing is reinstalling windows and it solved the problem. Because I couldn't figure out the solution to it. I know you might not want to reinstall windows because of whatever reason... but I figured I should tell you that it worked for me. As for the cause of this problem... I do not know, and it all happend after I changed mainboards on his computer.

Alright, I will look into it further and worse comes the worse I'll format. I haven't formatted since 2003 :p.. so it's about that time, anyhow.

Is this happening because I changed the jumper to "master" rather then "cable select"?

it would be that if the hard drive is also a master ....if it's on master and the hdd is also on master put the cdrom on slave.....and or put both on cable select:cool:

The CD rom and the HD aren't on the same cable, the HD is on a FastTrak 378 Controller while the CD rom is on IDE Secondary (primary is my two HDDs)

I did a system restore, and here is what I get (view attached picture)..

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom