Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

*PyRo*

In Runtime
A while back when i used to play counterstrike, after about 5 minutes a loud whining sound came from my computer. I was told this was the computers way of cool down cause it was too hot. I havnt played cs since then but play other, newer games (BattleField, C&C Generals etc..) which have not cause this problem. However for the last couple of months the computer really hasnt been runing quite what it used to be like. Dont know wheter this is just the gradual collection of crap in registry or whatever (I do antivirus scan and spyware scan regularly), Or wheter my fan isnt doing its job. When i check my computers bios temperature place it is always around the 60 degree mark (degrees C, im from NZ, about 140 degrees fahrenheit) which is pretty hot. Would a more powerful fan solve this and make my computer run better( the one ive got does about 6000rpm and someone suggest i double it.) Can anyone suggest a good fan to give my computer a chill pill. Thanks in advance!:confused:

i would try, in addtion to getting a registry cleaner program, getting a fan that can mount into the side of your case, as that will really help with the airflow and also checky our ps, if it is the kind that draws air in from the rear, i would ocnsider replacing it with one that draws from the bottom (it keeps the air from being split and only half passing over the processor) but, i would move this post to the overclocking, cooling, case mods forum

Computer Cooling

For the past 2 weeks, I have been experimenting with different fan configurations trying to keep my computer cool. My case has mounts for 4 fans in the front, 1 60mm in the back, and 1 on the side over the CPU & MB.

In every configuration, I've found setting the side fan for intake is the best. Now, I have no idea what kind of case you have, but I would highly recommend one with 4 front fans, a side fan, and if possible 2 back fans.

Besides setting the side to intake, putting the 4 front fans for exuast is best I've found too. The only problem I've found with that config is it makes the back the intake. And when most, if not all, power supplies are exuast, it just recycles the heat. Out the Power supply, and then back in the rear. Something you could do to solve that is to put a deflector over the power supply exaust. (attached picture on next post) Since heat rises, once you start it up, it should keep it going.

My overall rule of thumb is: The more exuast fans you have, the cooler your computer will run.

As for doubleing the CPU fan speed, I don't think that will help. It's morelikly the problem is the heat isn't leaving the computer, and your CPU fan is just recycling the heat. (plus I've never seen or heard of one that runs 12000 RPMS)

P.S. If your CPU fan is 6000 RPMs, you probably have a pretty good one. I recently purchased a Thermal Take 1500 to 6000 RPM fan&heatsink, and It's been great. Oh, and if your interested in a new computer case, check out Gigdot on eBay. I got my for under $40, S&H included.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=32160936

Regards, Gimmick

i have a more simple cooling system on all my p4s. intakes at the front and side...exhaust at the back and top.

yea i think ill try a side one because the way the insides are set up the power case bascically blocks the processer fan ill try draw an example lol ---xxx <- Processor Fan -----------
____ ]
0____ <- Power Unit and fan ]
------------------------------------------
Yea just a little visual but thanks to all of you anyway ill also try the heatsink cleanout . No more reply is need and if i knew how to close the post i would :) (dunno if im "admin or not" ps awesoem handywork Gimmick

well if you have a fan blowing air in at the bottom and out at the top it gets cooler air from lower down and because hot air naturally rises it will get blow out from the top fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom