Christmas Can Also Bring Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazerman....to put it short and sweet...you need a new PSU dude...

With 7 fans..all of which are draining the +12v rail, plus the fact you want to overclock a rating of 13a is EXTREMELY weak for that rail. Most PSU's have 15a and even that's pretty slim.

You should look for a PSU that has a +12v rail with a rating of 18a or higher. My Thermaltake PSU has a rating of 22a and I have 4 HD's, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, overclocked CPU, 13 total fans

But I'm basically 99% sure that's what's causing your instability.

Is there such thing as instability from giving to much power?
Nope that'd be frying it...your PSU doesn't have enough power as it is so that's definitely not the problem here.

Your RAM is rated at 2-3-3-6 the numbers in that order are:

Cas# Latency (2)

Ras# to Cas# (3)

Ras# Precharge (3)

Cycle Time (tras) (6)

EDIT: Thats the problem with Case/PSU combos like that. You can generally be assured that the PSU will suck.

Thermaltakes cases like the Xaser case however, come with good quality Thermaltake PSU's.

Anywho I'd suggest to you something like the 480watt Thermaltake Butterfly because I doubt you'd need a 560w like I got and it costs $100 just for this PSU which I'm pretty sure you don't want to spend :p

Well any good psu's for $30? That's all I got... I was afraid of this, maybe I should of just bought that ultra xconnect instead of all the wires seperately.....

should of just bought that ultra xconnect
Yeah that's also a good PSU, but also $100. It has a rating of 30a on the +12v rail and the other rails are quite strong too.

This one looks very decent- http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...-148-001&DEPA=0 I knew something was gonna start failing sooner or later with all these fans. That one I just linked has +12v@ 34 amps.. Anyways yea when I try to raise the vcore at all my computer makes like siren sounds at me.
Where did you see the +12v rating because on the images they provide it's not close enough to the sticker and is all fuzzy for me to see =/

But yeah sirens = unacceptable settings

it's rather annoying...I love setting something in the BIOS only to hear like I'm being arrested by european police officers :p

Also how do I know if I should update my bios? It's whatever one came with the board... I'm not sure what all is out there for it.

Also how do I know if I should update my bios? It's whatever one came with the board... I'm not sure what all is out there for it.
Oh well you don't NEED it and mostly the manufacturer says don't do it unless you absolutely have to for compatibility reasons. Sometimes the custom BIOS's might offer you better stability but I've tried out a few and they didn't really offer me speeds with less voltage or anything.

However some have better set up BIOS menus. Also the one I'm using has a soft L12 mod for making the BIOS think it's naturally a 333FSB CPU instead of 266 so that it'll set itself up to better accomadate the higher FSB.

Also the one I have and a variety of others will change the BIOS from saying 'Unknown CPU' to AMD Athlon XP-M so that looks nice ;)

here's a website with a variety of custom BIOS's

http://www.pc-tweaker.ch/Downloads/Bios/Modded/Abit.php

This is the one I'm using:

Abit NF7-Sv2 D26 CPC-OFF mantarays-xt

4W4K3 is using Abit NF7-Sv2 D23 3D-FIRE Reversion 2 SATA 4247 CPC-OFF

The CPC-Off will allow the CPU to stay cooler during the idle state.

Also here's a nice little thing that 4W4K3 showed me that also decreases CPU idle temps by using an S2k bus disconnection feature.

It can be found here:

http://www.newgenerationorder.org/files.html

You want to download this one:

nForce2 C0/C1/C2 Cooling Patch by The NGO Group

BTW: Checked out the review, yeah now I see the rails =P Indeed a good one. Doubt you'll ever max out the +12v rail

What I wonder is do you really need 7 fans.
Then you'll probably never go to sleep wondering why I need 13 :confused: :D

Okay Nubius I am going to try the one you are using... Do I flash in windows or in dos? AWDFLASH has those two different options right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom