Do you turn off your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hardware Durability
It is a fact that turning an electrical appliance on puts more stress on that appliance than keeping it running for a long time. The reason is that the initial surge of electricity through the circuits is a traumatic event (shocking, even). Your computer is an electrical appliance, and therefore constant power ups and power downs can wear out the parts before their time. If the durability of your hardware is an issue, then leave it on."

Kind of like a car. Most people don't realize when you accelerate hard, or when you stop and go at a stop light, you are doing the same thing. It's always that initial surge that messes everything up. Lots of stress. Stop and go constantly in a vehicle puts quite a load of stress on the car's engine and transmission.

Lots of mixed opinions. Let's just keep it on all day if we're going to use it, then power it down at night. If we don't plan on using the PC, don't turn it on then. Unless if they are servers. If compnents fail, we'll just have to buy new parts for it. PC's will eventually fail, but that gives us excuses to buy a better component, right? hehe

TheMajor said:
I heard a surge protector is build-into any quality PSU.

Even so, surge protectors are sold now dirt cheap and in nearly any store. It wouldn't hurt to have a backup in case things went wrong ;)

-Dan The Man

There you go! That's for all you I-turn-my-computer-off-at-night-because-I-honestly-think-it's-best-for-my-computer...people...
LOL:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Kind of like a car.
Yup, was what I was gonna say but you said it first :p

Anywho, my computer goes off daily, although yes I know technically it's better to leave it on I simply can't. Noise reasons and electricity reasons. My parents would gripe profusely if I left it on all the time although I honestly don't know how much electricity a computer uses daily.

Anyone know?

SuperSonicB!tch is on nearly 24/7 as it's my main download box and media player. It's rarely gets turned off. I might get the occassional restart.

PzychoB!tch get turn on and off as I use it. Although if I feel that I am going to be using the computer on and off all day, I will just leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom