ultimate gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the "AMD Athlon FX-55" is that better then any pentium chip ?
would the fx-55 be like a 2.6ghz pentium?

and what is this "Winchester Cores or Newcastle cores"

whats better ?

Well first, the Athlon 4000 is not faster then the FX-55. Beautiphil The FX-55 is better then any AMD Single processor.

True_Orb, it would be pure stupidity to go AGP right now. No offense to anyone of course. However, the next generation cards optimized for PCIe 16x from ATi have already been released and nVidia will follow suit soon. nVidia has already released the TurboCache GeForce 6200 that enhances graphics for value cards by using the full PCIe bandwith. The Radeon X850-- runs on full PCIe 16x. Bottom line, go PCI Express!

Yes, the FX-55 will wipe the floor with any Pentium proccesor out right now, no competetion.

Winchester cores are 90nm, rather than the 130nm Newcastle cores. To put it simply, the 90nm core will run a lot cooler than the 130nm core, which means it'll overclock a lot more a lot easier.

Gaara, wrong. Where are you getting your facts. The Pentium 4 570J and the FX-55 are running neck and neck right now. I think you mean that the FX-55 will wipe the flor with the current most expensive Pentium 4 which is the EE 3.46 GHz. The 570J is neck and neck with the FX-55.

I feel sorry for the people who go out and spend 2 grand on a computer thinking they have the end all be all of computers. If your spend over $1500 on your parts (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Video Card, Hard Drives, and Optical Drives) your wasting money. I built my computer a little under a year ago and spent $1300 on everything (case, PSU, and flashy goodies like lights and extra fans). It still runs the newest games (with full detail) PERFECTLY. There is NO reason to spend $600 on a processor or $500 on RAM.
And who ever said that the system should have 2 gigs of RAM has never built a computer before. My spec's for the "Best Gaming Maching" :

P4 3.0Ghz (or the AMD equlivent)
DFI Lanparty Pro or Asus P800 whatever (or AMD equlivent)
1 gig dual channel RAM (400Mhz or OC'ed RAM if you want)
ATI x800Pro ( not the XT)
MAYBE one raptor drive (all the rest 7200RPM)

This system will run any game your throw at it at high detail. Best of all it will only cost around $1500 if that.

Gaara, wrong. Where are you getting your facts. The Pentium 4 570J and the FX-55 are running neck and neck right now. I think you mean that the FX-55 will wipe the flor with the current most expensive Pentium 4 which is the EE 3.46 GHz. The 570J is neck and neck with the FX-55.
Gaara is right. We are talking about the "ultimate gaming PC" here right now, not the all around best PC, and as I have stated, the FX-55 will totally wipe the floor with any Pentium proccesor you throw at it. I figured I didn't have to specify that I was reffering specifically to games since this thread starter seems to be implying that he wants a computer primarily for gaming.

I feel sorry for the people who go out and spend 2 grand on a computer thinking they have the end all be all of computers. If your spend over $1500 on your parts (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Video Card, Hard Drives, and Optical Drives) your wasting money. I built my computer a little under a year ago and spent $1300 on everything (case, PSU, and flashy goodies like lights and extra fans). It still runs the newest games (with full detail) PERFECTLY. There is NO reason to spend $600 on a processor or $500 on RAM.
I tend to agree with you, for a few reasons.

First of all, leading edge technology usually costs a few hundred dollars more than bleeding edge technology with not much performance difference, and in a few months, you'll probably see the prices on leading edge parts drop DRAMATICALLY.

Also, you don't need the most powerful computer availible right now to be able to enjoy all the best games out right now, you can save yourself a few hundred dollars and get a computer that will perform at virtually the same performance level as leading edge technology.

Get yourself a computer with bleeding edge technology, it may not be as powerful as leading edge stuff out right now, but it's got a way better value to it.

While i totally agree with the "dont buy the best of the best if the 2nd best still runs it fine" i would like to say few things.

By buying the best of the best, you usually ensure your computer will become obsolete farther down the road than the 2nd best. something ALOT of people are worried about (people who buy a computer for what they need and want it to last long mostly).

While the 2nd best gfx card might play a game 100% detail no lag at all 100+FPS, the best of the best SLI 6800U will play it better still with more FPS. While you might think "FPS dont matter, as long as it's playable" but to people who have big wallets and a want for the best, nothing matters more. They look at your hardware and say it sux cuz theres gets 30FPS more (while they payed an extra $200 for 30FPS...how ironic)

Alot of kids get there money fomr mommy and daddy, and they get the latest and greatest. not because they can use it, or because they want it to last a really long time, they get $5K+ rigs so they can go to skool and brag to there buddies. 3 months down the road they come home saying "my $400 GFx card sucks, they jsut came out with a new model" and mom rushes to the store to get a new one. The old gfx card still played his games perfect and with no lag, but it wasn't latest and greatest...so therfore it sucked to him and his buddies.

You can get a totally awesome computer without buying the most expensive hardware out there. You will find you like your computer alot more knowing you saved more money than (insert name here) and your computer still runs every game his/hers does without lagging.

I just got NFSU and my little computer will play it 45+FPS no lag at all. Someone i know bought a 9800PRO for this game alone and his probably plays ~100FPS (guessing). I told him my 9200 plays it just fine settings all maxed out and he couldn't believe he payed $200 for that card when a $50 one would play it just fine on full detail. However...he can now play even better games that my 9200 couldn't (Doom3, Farcry.) If he actually has those games and plays them then he did the smart thing. If he doesn't intend to buy them or doesn't want them then he indeed wasted his money. It's all abotu what you need and what you can take advantage of. Not about what the release date is or how over the top your FPS are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom