Christmas Can Also Bring Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Other than empty wallets...

Anyways, I got my Abit NF7-S mobo for christmas along with the AMD Athlon 2400+ XP- Mobile (AQHYA meh..) but anyways. I hook everything up right and it boots normally until the post screen then it says unkown cpu. I check my bios and my cpu is running at 100x6 or 600mhz and my memory is running at 400 (which is right). So I change it to 200x9 which this should easily be capable of... then it doesn't boot. I unplug it for a few minutes and go take a piss then come back, plug it in and turn it on. It boots up and it's running at 200x9.... that's all good, or is it? I reformat my hdd using the Western Digital Data CD and then I try to setup windows. I gets all the way to the point where it is about to start installing and it says it can't find the hdd. I figure it's a Sata issue, since I am using the Serillel 150 on my WD Caviar hdd. I guess I don't know where to go from here. I'm a Sata noob... My computer is a big jumble of wires and what not... I bought some rounded cables from xoxide.. they should be here soon and that should help alot. Mostly it's the power issue. I don't have enough 4pin plugs... I have 7 case fans right now (mut-ified or mixed brands). I just purchased 7 new ones but will only be using 6 for the case, the other one is for the psu. I got a fan controller and that is just screwing me all up with the wiring. I really need some help because I have been trying to get that thing to work for 5 hours straight and I am going insane. Nubius did you have similar problems?

In regards to your SATA hard drive, did you remember to install the correct drivers for your motherboard? Your motherboard should have come with a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers, and you have to watch the setup closely for an option to press F6 (I think) in order to install mass storage drivers. The pop in the floppy and it should work out all right.

I can't help you out with the fan wiring, just follow the manual, but I really don't think it could be that difficult...

The floppy you speak of has like 5 different options when selecting the driver.... and they all say Raid which I am not using.

My PSU is 420watts... this mobo has every option in the world. I can change anything.... I really need nubius to come in here. My computer is working now. I got windows loaded and everything is fine except the clock speed.... I need to look up this cpu's default settings.

Okay running at default 1.8ghz 133x13.5 @ 1.35 volts. My goal is to run it at 200x9 at whatever voltage (I've tried up to 1.65 vcore for 200x9 and it still wasn't stable) so I can take full advantage of my corsair xms ddr 400 memory.

Hmm just installed an 120mm side intake fan for my pc, and when I touch the outside of my case it is COLD! Even the air blowing out of the exhaust fans is cold! That was just a little side note.

The floppy you speak of has like 5 different options when selecting the driver.... and they all say Raid which I am not using.
That's the right floppy man. If you look when it says Press F6 it asks if you want to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers....doesn't mention SATA but trust me this is what you need.

Use the Silicon image 3114 Drivers that I'm pretty sure should be on the disk cause I'm looking at mine and that's one of the 4 sets on there. You should use those

It's fine that it says Unknown CPU, that is completely normal unless you get a custom modded BIOS which I can show you where to get those too.

Your BIOS should have defaulted the CPU to 1.55 volts even though technically the chip can run fine off 1.35

Anywho, you shouldn't even need to raise the Voltage for you to simply change it from 133x13.5 to 200x9

It's the same speed, so it shouldn't need that bump yet.

What's the +12v Rail rated on that PSU?

What if there's only Silicon 3112 [and after installing that it winxp still says theres no hard disk]? Should there be an updated 3114 on the mobo website?

:)

I chose it to put both of the images on there and I guess it thought 3112 was better since that is what it used. Is there such thing as instability from giving to much power? Here is a pic of the psu from newegg- http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.../11-156-142-31.jpg&CurImage=11-156-142-25.jpg

Also in my bios I can change my cas latency settings... I know I need to since it says it has it running at 3.0 and it's supposed to be like 2.6 or something. I dont know what the other numbers mean though. Are they what follow 3.0 0 0 0 or something like that? Here is my ram- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-420&depa=1 .

I guess I need to know what the names of each number need to be so I can set them accordingly in my bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom