speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
I have another question guys. at work, we just converted to T1 from DSL. when i go to dslreports.com and check out the speed of T1, i get a little more than 1400 kbps Up and Down. But when i check the speed of my cable at home, i get 2862 down and 361 up. can someone please explain to me why cable connection is twice the amount of T1 for download?

Maybe i'm just not understanding the numbers but please explain to me.

Thank you.

t1 is roughly that speed. to put it as simply as possible, a business t1 line is not necessarly fast, but is lossless. That means If I run 10 computers on t1, they all will get 1400kbps u/d but if i run 10 computers on your cable, they'll get 1/10 of 2862 kbps each.

this is how I understand it...if i am wrong, correct me!! :)

Lol, in my area its not uncommon to hit 5MBS dl speeds! I live right next to a backbone...

T1 upload speed is alot faster than cables also...

uchiha - "That means If I run 10 computers on t1, they all will get 1400kbps u/d but if i run 10 computers on your cable, they'll get 1/10 of 2862 kbps each."

so you're saying that all computers in that network will have the speed of 1400kbps? what if 9 people downloads mp3 and that one person left checks the connection speed, 1400kbps is still available for that computer? So i can have as many workstations as i want in that LAN and everyone gets to enjoy 1400kbps up and down?

I think you're missing the differences between T1 and DSL/cable. T1 connections are for businesses with critical need for Internet connectivity at all times. As far as speed, T1 is 1.54 Mbps down & up and guaranteed & regulated to yield that speed. That is the raw data rate and doesn't include overhead, so what you are seeing (1.4 Mbps) is what you are paying for. If you have T1 and don't get that rate, you can complain to the regulatory commission of the FCC. If the situation is not corrected in a timely manner, the FCC can and will fine your phone company. On the other hand, Cable and DSL can give you speeds in excess of T1, but in most cases, if the data rates fall below what you expect & are paying for, you can only complain to your provider. For residential cable/DSL, you will very seldom get any guarantee of service speeds. If those ISPs do offer speed guarantees (usually only available for business accounts), you may be able to sue for breech of contract or switch to another provider.

Secondly, if you have T1 and the connection goes down, your ISP is required by law to respond in a timely manner (on the order of an hour or a few hours). If they fail to do so, they again can be fined. I know residential cable customers near where I live that have been out of service for over a week. The cable company is not regulated and doesn't have to meet any continuity of service guarantees. Residential DSL is also not regulated, and I've had outages lasting most of a work day on a couple of occasions. Again, I was not offered any continuity guarantee even with "business class" DSL.

Also, if you apply for a T1 connection, regardless of your location (including rural America, btw), your phone company is required to make every effort to supply it. They can charge "engineering fees" and local loop fees, which may put the cost out of reach of a small or medium-sized business, but even those fees are regulated. Also, since T1 uses the equivalent of 24 pairs of standard telephone lines, it is not effected by distance like DSL is. T1 should be available even in areas that cable and DSL does not serve.

The T1 will not provide the same speed to all machines. It is similar to cable in the fact it will be divided into however many machines use it on a as needed basis. Its not like cable in the sense a neighborrhood would not share, the bandwidth is dedicated to the subscriber. The other major diffrence, the numbers showed, the upload is same as download. Really cable is almost always faster but you have to deal with what the previous post metioned: downtime, stupid tech support...etc.

Thanks for the great info guys. Can someone please explain to me the difference between download and upload? download is when i'm "getting" something online to my computer right? and upload is when i'm loading something from my computer to the internet? Kind of like finding a host to upload pictures or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom