Should I do XP or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I was told that non-ECCs work....now the real question is how much does a 2700/2100 ram bottleneck a 64 athlon?

Has anyone put thermal paste onto a 64bit yet?

I was wondering if it is done the same as the XP's, seeing as I've doen it on the XP's, and have a 64bit on the way.

On the XP's thye have a die to put it on, but is it the same as on a 64bit? or do you cover the entire surface???

No the 754 can't support dual channel RAM and it's the socket 940 that requires Registered, ECC-RAM

Has anyone put thermal paste onto a 64bit yet?

I was wondering if it is done the same as the XP's, seeing as I've doen it on the XP's, and have a 64bit on the way.

On the XP's thye have a die to put it on, but is it the same as on a 64bit? or do you cover the entire surface???
The 64 bit processors now come with a heatspreader. Something Intel had already done.

You're supposed to simply put a BB sized drop in the middle of the heatspreader. The die is still there, it's just under this heatspreader that they put on for more thermal diffusion, although to me it seems like it'd stay cooler if the heatsink was directly touching the die.

Anywho, you put the BB sized drop in the middle and just put your heatsink down straight on and give about a 1 degree twist in each direction. Mind you 1degree is barely a movement so don't get crazy with it.

This will spread out the paste and get rid of any pockets or bubble that may have been present.

That's all there is to that.

Also regarding the thermal paste, I see a couple posts where people say 'you could go without it, but no one would' but the truth is you really can't go without it. If you do then you will probably be raising your CPU temps considerably. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20C+ increase

It's as simple as this:

Your friend, sorry to say, is crazy. There's not a chip out there that you don't put some kind of thermal compound on. Whether it be thermal grease, adhesive, or tape...there's something always there between the CPU and heatsink.

I suppose if the CPU Die and heatsink both had completely flat mirror surfaces then you wouldn't need thermal paste, because the whole point of the paste is to get into the microscopic vallies and crevices for even more contact.

If they didn't exist via a completely flat mirror surface then there wouldn't be a need for it.

I put a copper heatsink on a 950duron w/out paste or anyhthing. just put it on metal to metel and it ran fine. Cat say i would do that w/ a newer cpu though lol.

P.P. Mguire said:
ALOT! get 3200 youll be better off. plus dont get a 754.

Why? The socket 754 mobo's cost atleast $50 less! I heard that the extra bandwidth provided by the socket 939 motherboards and cpus isn't really needed. Is it true that the 2GHz hypertransport hardly gives a performance edge in todays applications at all? It would be much better to got with -

socket 754 mobo/Athlon 64 3200 1600fsb 1mb

over

socket 939 mobo/Athlon 64 3000 2000fsb 512kb

For heavens sakes someone ask Nubius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom