Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse don't work after installing Video Card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

And423Rew

Solid State Member
I installed a Video Card(AGP) in my computer, I put the Monitor into the Video Card. I can smell a little buring smell. And my comp turned off by itself after a few seconds. Then I tried to put the Monitor back onto the regular port. But it didn't work. I then removed the Video Card. And put the mouse, keyboard, speakers, and monitor back onto the regular ports.
But it still didn't work. The tower's power is on(the light is on and fan's moving and this time it didn't turn off) but keyboard's light is flashing and the mouse's light isn't on and the monitor wasn't detected. There were no way to turn off the computer because the mouse, etc. didn't work so I hold the power botton for a few seconds to turn it off.

What should I do? What is wrong with my computer?

My computer is a a720n.

MB:
AMD Athlon 3200+ XP 2.2ghz
Video Card:
It was Integrated Graphics 64mb shared but I disabled it before installing the Video Card.

THANKS !

Well i just went through this crap on an old Dell Deminsion L933r
and there isnt really any easy way to go about it.Not every install works the same on all computers unfortionately .Let me give you some tips that you should do before you even attempt installing a PCI card with Intergarated Video:
First you should check the MB manufacture for BIOS updates and any chipset updates available and install them 1st.
Sense you have disabled your onboard video your going to have a tough time enabling it.So what you need to do 1st is get your onboard video working again.Take the PCI video out for starters and connect your monitor to the onboard video.Try any of the following methods to reset your BIOS so it will boot .Unplug the power supply remove the CMOS battery (carefull when inside your case)press the power switch also try unpluging the main power socket to the motherboard.Reconect everything carefully and boot .If you do get a monitor screen you want to boot into your bios.Dont let the Operating system boot up.If it setup screen gets past you then press ctrl-alt delete at same time it should reboot again then hit the apropriate keys to enter setup.
What you want to do is boot into bios and locate Advanced settings / Video Configuration and change the setting to Onboard Video .(On a side note this is where the BIOS update may play a roll.Some MB`s may not have this feature from pre-release so an updated BIOS was created to enable it.These updates Also give better support for the Chipsets and video controlers.Thats why there so important.)If you dont see an option to change them then load setup defaults and reboot.
The next step is to try and repair where you disabled onboard video i can only suggest try using a recovery CD or the Operating System Installation CD and try to repair it that way .If not the only other solution that i no of is to re-install the Operating System .What OS are you using ? . Once you have your Onboard Video working again ill try and help you install the new Video Card

I did the CMOS thing. I took it out and put it back in on the same pins. I also took the power for my motherboard off for ten minutes. But there is no monitor screen, the keyboard(caps, num, etc. lights are flashing), and the mouse flashes once.
What should I do now?

did you try disconnecting the 20pin conector to the MB ? Heres what i had to do to get the monitor working on the dell i just finished fixing .Unhook PS/took the battery out/disconnected the 20 pin power connector to MB/held the power switch in for 5 seconds/moved the CMOS jumper over to clear,then back to normal(read your manual to find out where yours is)Unhooked the CPU fan Plug then reconnected it in order to get my monitor back and boot into bios.Then i just formated my hard drive and re-installed my OS .I had no other tools to fix disabling the onboard video like you did.

its on the motherboard its about the size and shape of a quarter
Read your manual

Ok, I found it.
I don't have the manual and the online manual doesn't tell you how to take it off. I can't just pull it out, how to take the battery out?

Ok, I'm done doing all that.
I'm I surpose to do anything before I turn the computer on?
I'm I surpose to do anything after I turn the computer on?

I turned the computer on, samething.......
The monitor still isn't detected, the mouse isn't working, the keyboard is flashing........

Is there anything else I should do?
Cappy, did the same thing happen to you?
Was your keyboard flashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom