Should I do XP or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go for the first combo.
The AMD 64 is way better then the XP.
But if i was you i would wait a bit and get a better motherboard.
Like this one DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb.

ahh ok...

two more questions

My friend said that the 64 bit processors required "special ram" is this true?

and he also stated that the 64 bit processors did not requirethermal paste is this also true?

Sorry to say but you got a dumb friend there (no offence).

The 64 bit processors donÂ’t require any special memory just for it you can use any memory with them as long as your motherboard support that memory.

All processors today use thermal paste to keep the temps down and help distribute the heat that the processor makes. You can run a processor without thermal paste but it will run very hot which intern is very bad for it.
I donÂ’t know of any person in the world who would run a processor without thermal paste.
So in the end all processors require thermal paste.

Hope it helps

Neosteve

no requirements really, but your better off with pc3200 and i wouldnt go any lower then pc2700. Also, you will always need thermal grease if you plan on smackin a heat sink on top of it. You could go with out it, but i wouldnt reccomend it, besides it helps with the cooling process

The S754 cpu's require ECC registred ram. dont get a S754. Get a S939 and youll be very happy and put a thin layer of Artic silver 5 on that shiznat.

P.P. Mguire said:
The S754 cpu's require ECC registred ram. dont get a S754. Get a S939 and youll be very happy and put a thin layer of Artic silver 5 on that shiznat.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the S940 CPU's require ECC registered RAM, not S754.

I have a Socket 754 CPU and non-ECC RAM. I have never heard anything like that before.
Granted it's not working yet, but because my SCSI adapters are little bastards. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom