Check Out This Computer Setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
I am going to be purchasing a new computer, and will be building it myself, which is my first time. This is the list I have compiled, and would just like to hear any suggestions on what you might do differently if it was your setup. By the way, this is going to be for mostly gaming, as well as music downloads and internet browsing. My budget is $1000 , and I have most of that spent already, as you can see here...

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 512KB L2 Cache - $260
Asus "A8V Deluxe" - $129.50
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT, 128MB GDDR3, 128 bit, PCI Express - $186
Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM SATA - $70
Rosewill 16X Double Layer DVD + / - - $56 (this is a CD/DVD ROM right?)
Raidmax Black Aluminum Game Case w/ 420 Watt PS - $88.88 (is the power supply efficent for my setup?)
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 512MB x 2 DDR PC-3200 - $198

Total - $990

Well this is what I have so far, still need a monitor and keyboard. I was also needing to know if these are all compadible parts. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

That looks like a really nice system. I have a couple of comments though.

Firstly, the video card is not compatible with the motherboard. The "A8V Deluxe" has an AGP slot for video cards, not a PCI Express slot. In other words, the video card is not compatible with the motherboard.

Secondly, just as a personal preference, I would get a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive. They seem to be a bit more reliable than Maxtor. Again, that is a personal preference, and some will disagree with my opinion.

Also, to answer your question, yes that DVD drive is a DVD/CD-ROM. It is actually a DVD burner I believe, so you should be able to copy your own DVD's. It burns and reads CD's as well.

The 420 watt power supply would indeed be enough for your system, no worries there.

Here are my recommendations for the parts in my suggestions:
Video Card: eVGA nVidia GeForce 6600 GT AGP-8X
Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM

Otherwise, the system looks great. By the way, fantastic choice on the RAM. You'll be very happy with it. Also, with website Click Here has a great walkthrough for first time builders. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks you much for you suggestions. I thought the motherboard and vid card were not compadible but needed to verify. How come the video card you recommended is $40 more? Is it just because of the AGP slot instead of PCI-Express? Well, keep the opinons comming, I would love to hear them.

I'm not for sure why it's more expensive. If you look on newegg though, all of the AGP versions are more expensive than their PCI-E counterparts. The card I recommend is more, but I suggested it because eVGA makes very good video cards, and they use quality parts. You can't go wrong with them. But like I said, the rest of the computer looks great. Want to trade? :) Just kidding.

haha sure, wait...um thats a bad thing, nevermind. By any chance do you know how much a DSL box costs, and what an average installation cost would be?

I wish I could help you there, but I honestly don't know. I would just try going to the websites of the major companies, like Southwestern Bell, Time Warner, Cox, etc.

i got a WD 160 GB drive, it failed on me and it is been with me just under a year. i had to post my drive to germany (i am in the UK), cost me 10 pounds, have not go my drive as yet, so WD has nto been a goo dexperience. i think i went for a seagate after that.

i think there is not much to choose between maxtor, WD or seagate

have you considered that antec 1080 case, it comes with a 430 watt PSU.

No I havn't, if you don't mind could you post a link? I'm kind of worried about my power supply. i was thinking about trying to find a case with a 500 watt power supply, just to be safe. What you do guys think, and how much would one cost? I have to go to work now, but ill be back on around 10 pm central.

im sure 420 watts would be fine, as long as it's a good quality power supply it will provide plenty of power. right now im runin a 64 3200 on 350watts and have had no problems. if u want one though it would cost arould £60 - £70 in the u.k. and= i just bought myself a adsl modem/box for £40, and it is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom