Upgrading my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

btd450

Solid State Member
I currently have a pretty crappy computer, and just want to upgrade it enough to be able to play some of the current graphically enhanced games. I am kind of held back because of a $500 max spending limit.d

My current specs:

Intel P4 2Ghz
512MB RAM
Intel Integrated graphics
Windows XP Home SP2

I know that I want a Radeon X700 Pro, which means that I will have to upgrade my motherboard, and possibly my processor and RAM.....That is what I am wondering about. The Processor and RAM are what I am concerned about. I am thinking that they might be too out dated, and I may not be able to upgrade for only $500.

I was thinking about the Intel Desktop Board D925XECV2/D925XEBC2 for my new motherboard. If I were to use the D925XECV2, I would have to upgrade my case, but I am probably going to upgrade my power supply anyway, so I figured I might as well do the case as well. BTW, what size power supply do you think I will need?

For one, the 2Ghz processor requires an mPGA478 socket, but the newer motherboards with PCI Express (needed for the X700 pro) have an LGA775 socket. Will I be able to just transfer the processor, or will I have to get a new one?

Also, the ram is just 184-pin DDR SDRAM. The newer motherboards have 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM sockets. I am assuming that I wont be able to just trasfer the current RAM, and just add 512 more. Will I be able to use the DDR SDRAM, or will I have to go with the DDR2?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You can transport your processor if you get another socket 478 mobo. Your Video Card is an Intel Integrated graphics. That most likly means its built in your mobo, so you cant change it.

But your processor 2.0ghz 533fsb, will have alot of problems handling gaming. If you have a budget of 500$, then you cant offered a PCI Express video card, since they all run around 400+.
I suggest builting a new system, rather then spending money on your present.

The X700 pro is a PCI Express, and that Is only $200...

I don't plan On keeping my mobo, I need a new one. I just wanted to know if my processor and RAM would be compatible with the new one.

Crap, that is what I was afraid of. I will have to get a new processor and RAM...:( I'll have to build a brand new computer....

Why an X700 Pro? You could get a 9800 Pro or Nvidia 6600 GT for only a tad bit more and you wouldn't have to re-build your whole computer, and still get awesome gaming performance.

beedubaya said:
Why an X700 Pro? You could get a 9800 Pro or Nvidia 6600 GT for only a tad bit more and you wouldn't have to re-build your whole computer, and still get awesome gaming performance.

As mentioned, both of these cards are much better than the x700 pro for the money. Additionally, if you wish to upgrade the processor and video card, you will most likely need a new power supply. Don't go cheap on it, get a brand-name one.

Why are you going for a Intel platform.
I would recommend that you wait a bit till the nForce 4 comes out and get that.
If you do decide to do that you donÂ’t need to get new ram since the nForce 4 chipset doesnÂ’t support DDR 2 and it can take your old memory which saves you money for a better Graphics Card.

The 6600GT is also a tad better than the X700Pro so i would recommend that you get that.

I know you will maybe need to spend a bit more to get this but i think its worth it.

X700 pro isn't better than the 9800 pro?

Could I have some benchmarks...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom