I want to become a computer tech can some one help me succede?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've learned much of what I know on this forum; at 16 years old, I can fix most problems I encounter, and I am constantly learning new things
the more you know, the more you realise you don't know

being a techie is not just knowing about compuers, a lot of it is the ability to find out what the problem is and finding a way to fix it; different techies use different methods, a lot of the time getting the same end result.

firstly, how much would you say you do know about computers?

do you know how to put together a compuer? what the basic parts are and what they do?

here's a quick run down

CPU or Central Processing Unit: the part which does all the thinking and calculations. it also makes all the basic framework of the video

Video card: colours and shades the models which the CPU makes, and sends the screen data to the monitor
GPU or Graphical processing Unit: is basically the CPU of the graphics card

Sound card: processes sound for the speakers

motherboard: where everything gets plugged into, so they can communicate with the other parts through it

RAM: where everything is loaded when you boot up or open a program or file. once power is lost it loses its data.

BIOS: controls the motherboard, the settings like frequencies, even the system clock
a video card has its own BIOS

Hard Drive: the storage of all your data, even Windows is stored on the hard drive

i say i know some things but not alot my old computer broke down and i want to fix the brive arent registerd and i dont know how to fix and there is a virus blocking tis internet so i dont know what to do and i dont know how to find problems with computer i want to become a computer tech support who fixes computers and stuff.

nate said:
i say i know some things but not alot my old computer broke down and i want to fix the brive arent registerd and i dont know how to fix and there is a virus blocking tis internet so i dont know what to do and i dont know how to find problems with computer i want to become a computer tech support who fixes computers and stuff.

Ask about a specific problem. that will start your education

im a computer tech for a local insurance company. I remember getting into computers back when i was around 13-14. I wanted to be a hacker, ooOOOooooOOO. Well, when i started asking questions, most ppl told me to read, Read, READ!!!! So I did. the RFC's are a good place to start, actually an A+ book maybe better. They also added even if you dont really understand it, keep with it and re-read it again and again. I found that really useful a few years later.

Experiment with things. Find out how to use your system to its fullest potential. Then goto school for some formal training. I went to a local vocational/technical school for computers. I worked hard and excelled. THEN THEY GOT ME MY CURRENT JOB W00T!!!! Im continuing into college, one class left for my associates in comp network engineering. Then off to MS cert training for MSCE/MSDBA 2k3 track. Then to university of delaware for my bachlors, prolly comp engineering. \

always have a plan, school is a good plan for the computer field as shit changes sooo fast. my mom told me when i started "you'll be in school for the rest of your life". I don't mind it one bit as long as its tech related.

Went to school for computer networking and infrastructure, as well as active directory design and got my MCSE (to let you know, doesn't mean much without experience.) My first job, though, has nothing to do with AD. I work on HMI (factory programming) that uses PLC (logic controllers), a language similar to VB, web design (have a web server and asp) also use Cisco Catalyst equipment, Omron and Genius block GEFanuc PLC's. Best thing is experience. Next best is books WITH use of emulators (Cisco emulation where u configure routers and also troubleshoot in lab activities), also transcenders are very good test preps.

zimon said:
definatly read up on any computer forum

Reading computer forums like this will only teach you one or two things. Anytime you try to memorize someone's response to a technical question, all you're doing is memorizing things w/out fully understanding the concept behind it.

The internet is full of computer forums like this and some are just downright awful. I've seen some forums where the majority of members spew out crap that doesn't even make sense, and the moderators won't even jump to correct a thread that's severely off course. This forum has some improvements to make in that regard but atleast they will occasionally correct false statements.

Like CSamuels and Killians have already told you Nate, the best place to start is with some formal education. If you can't afford to pay for college right now, then the 2nd best thing is to pick up a good book on A+ certification. It will give you a good foundation and allow you to learn more complex concepts as you go.

bla!! said:
Personally it just takes experience to learn the majority of what you need to become a decent tech.

Depending on what you'd like to do (ie network support, network administration, system support, database admin etc..) all you need is some experience with different problems. You can read about as much stuff as you want, but it's experiencing, establishing and fixing problems that teachs you the inner workings of these areas.

experience just like he said above, its 10% knowledge and 85% and of course 5% pure as snow driven luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom