Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatonator

Baseband Member
Hey, I'm new to the forums here.... just being curious to all of your opinions. I currently have the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. I'm seriously considering buying the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. How much of a difference and upgrade would that be? I have Need for Speed: Underground 2 right now, and I can't even maximize the graphics.... By the way, I can get the 9800 for $145, how good of a deal is that?!

Thanks

Is it remanufactured? That seems really cheap, otherwise you found an awesome deal.

The 9800 Pro is a good card (a lot better than mine :p), and very good for that price. Go for it if you trust the source.

It's actually from circuit city. $250 - $70 ATI rebate - $35 from friend's employe discount. Another question, should i consider getting a 256 MB card? Is there really a significant difference between a 128 MB card and a 256? If so, what are the differences?

Thanks guys

No, there is no real difference in performance terms with onboard memory. 128mb is more than enough now. As I have said in another thread, my very old ti4200 64mb card will outperform some brand spanking new 256mb cards. Memory onboard is generally pretty inconsequential.

Right now, there isn't a real signifficant difference between 128MB and 256MB. However, in the future, you will need 256MB. Doom 3 is designed to use 512MB btw. The 9800 Pro is a good card for the money. Its not what is used to be, but can play all games today except maybe Doom 3 maxed out.

Yeah, the 9800 Pro is a good card, should be able to handle everything you've listed up there, and any other games you throw can throw at it that are out right now. If you have the extra money, I'd invest in the 9800XT however, it'll be able to last a bit longer than the 9800 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom