trying to do a "clean instal"help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Gerding

Solid State Member
I am trying to do a clean install of Win 2000 on a dell laptop. I got as far as where it asked me to pick the are to install it. There are only two choices. One has only 8m of space and says it is reserved for something windows does. The other one says it has a copy of Win 2000 there and might mess up if I put a second copy there. I don't want a 'second' copy, I want to get rid of the old and reinstall. What to do next? Thanks for any help, I am way over my head here. You can email me too at pgerding@sbcglobal.net if you wold prefer. Philip

From where it asks you to install, highlight the partitioned space where Windows currently is, hit D, Enter, L then Enter again. That SHOULD do it for you.

-Dan The Man

Hitting D should delete that partition and then the L and Enter are just for confirmation purposes. If you still get no response, please tell me if the item you are trying to format and install on reads "Unpartitioned Space".

-Dan The Man

NO. The "unpartitioned space" only has 8MB left. The other "space" is marked C:NTFS 6181 MB (1468 MB Free). I think the previous attemp -not by me- simply installed a second copy of the os in the same space as the first.

You should highlight that one that says C:\NTSF and then try hitting D to delete it. Will that work?

-Dan The Man

no. I have even moved the cursor off of it,highlighting the other space and then back. there is no response at all.

Hmm, this is a very different situation. I can't seem to figure out why it won't let you format. You could boot back into Windows, install Partition Magic, make boot disks, boot from them, and then format your drive that way. then you should be able to do a fresh install of Windows. You should try that.

-Dan The Man

I think this is where I go find someone and give them money. I don't know what Partition Magic is and I have a feeling I would be better served getting a pro in on this. Thanks so much for your help. I wish I was a bit better informed on the topic but am not. Happy New Year! Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom