which processor upgrade would be best

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever you do dont buy a celeron!
I have celerons on my slower basement computers. The 1.7 celerons are horribly slow and junky! You can get an athlon xp for the same price as that celeron and it would be almost twice as fast! If you go with intel definately buy a p4! I would rather have a Athlon 64 instead though. Especially the 939 socket with the dual channel 2000MHz Hypertransport bus! When you upgrade video cards find something with directX 9 support.
:D

ok for 220$ u can get a nice intell p4 with socket t and a new mobo for 300 u can get some mushkin ram thats what im getting

after reading all the suggestions(which i greatly appreciate from all). It sounds like i will be spending around 300-400 dollars. I think for a little more i can have a gaming machine built. I would like to get rid of this computer as parts or as a trade towards a custom built if anyone knows anyone interestested please let me know.
thank you all very much!!

phillyb said:
after reading all the suggestions(which i greatly appreciate from all). It sounds like i will be spending around 300-400 dollars. I think for a little more i can have a gaming machine built. I would like to get rid of this computer as parts or as a trade towards a custom built if anyone knows anyone interestested please let me know.
thank you all very much!!

Say what know?:eek: You can't get anything worth a darn built for you for $500 bucks man, your better off buying the parts and building it yourself:)

i have a friend here that builds computers and he built my buddies for his office for $500 everything except monitor. Maybe what I am considering sufficient and what you do are very different. I am just looking for a machine that provides quality graphics that runs smoothly and can hanle all the new games and online play also. Any suggestion on a good set-up?

phillyb said:
i have a friend here that builds computers and he built my buddies for his office for $500 everything except monitor. Maybe what I am considering sufficient and what you do are very different. I am just looking for a machine that provides quality graphics that runs smoothly and can hanle all the new games and online play also. Any suggestion on a good set-up?

Like I said for $500 bucks your not gonna get much, a decent CPU, mobo and video card will cost that alone, not to mention you need a HD, case, PSU, etc........

I'd say your gonna want a Athlon XP, cheapo Nforce2 mobo, and maybe a 9800 Pro:confused:

what is toyr opinion on an AMD processor, Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 333FSB. motherboard ABIT NF7-S. HArd drive Hitachi 80 GB Deskstar 120 GXP 7200 rpm Ultra ATA100? what else would be good?

Ok... $500 you can get some stuff. I recently put together a system for £120 ($200 or so). It was a basic system, no O/S, no moniter, all new though... Sempron 2200+, 120gb HD, etc. So claiming you can't put a system that's worth much together for $500 is weird.

Also, memory on graphics cards are not what you should be looking at. My very, very old 64mb Geforce4 ti4200 will outperform some new 256mb cards. Memory is not insignificant, but it's far from the most important thing in a graphics card. In some cases (eg the 64mb ti4200, vs the 128mb ti4200), there is absolutely no significant real world difference.

Back to the original post... AMD socket A motherboards can be got for basically nothing now ($20?), sempron processors are cheap too($70?), pick up a ti4200 off ebay($40?), and RAM($Take your pick, more costs more, 512mb will do just about everything now with ease), you'll have a system that can run just about anything you want it to, for bugger all money.

ok, let me give you a run down of what i have in my old computer now. i have upgraded some things. It came with 128MB of ram. I now have 2 sticks of 256 MB pc 133. i have an nvidia geforce mx4000 128MB vid. card. the prob seems to be with the age of my mobo and pent III processor. its only 980Mhz . what can i salvage and what do i need new? thank you

Well, I think what you consider sufficient is definately less than what most people think is sufficient for running games here. If you want Intel, then this is what I suggest.

Intel Pentium 4 2.4C (2400/512/800/1.525)
Abit IC7-G MaxII Advance (Socket 478/I875)
Raidmax Blue Gamer's Case w/ 420W PSU
pQI Turbo Series Dual Channel 2 x 256 MB
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis 128MB
Optorite DVD +/- RW Burner/Reader
Generic or Branded 52x CD-ROM Drive
Western Digital Caviar 60GB HDD 7200RPM
Creative Sound Blaster Adudigy 2 Value
Creative SB240 2.0 Audio System/Speakers
Thermaltake XAserIII KB+Mouse Combo
Thermalright XP-90 Heatsink For 478

My friend uses this setup for his gaming system and it runs like a charm. He has overclocked his processor to 3204 MHz from 2400 MHz on a 267 base clock. This is his exact setup. If you can strip optical drives and hard disks then you will have a system in your range. I suggest you overclock and try to get a decent overclock or a great overclock like my friend. The extra 67 MHz memory speed really will help in games.

However, if you really are on a budget, then you can upgrade that Pentium III. I'm thinking that since it is a Pentium III 1.0 GHz, it is a Coppermine core on Socket 370. If that is the case, then I suggest you purchase an FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 converter and then buy yourself a Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz (1400/512/133/1.5) processor on Tualatin core. The PIII-S processors can outperform a P4 @ 2.0 GHz on stock and that is why Intel canned them. Secondly, the Tualatins can reach 2.0 GHz easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom