Running BAT files in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
I'm attempting to run a '.bat' file in XP. Ordinarily, when its double clicked it suppose to execute the program. In my case, the bat file is suppose to convert rar files into a bin cue file. Instead I get a windows 'cannot access the path,device, file' message. I was able to 'trick' it to 'run' in windows task scheduler, but of course nothing happened. Be great if I can get any suggestions on this.

hmmm..Try changing the Folder Options in the control panel..Make sure view hidden files is not checked, and uncheck Hide System files, hide extensions of known sumthin or other...worth a try..I dont think it will work, but what the hay..lol.

If not check the bat script and all items it is pointing to and look at the permissions for each.

Your're right, it did not work. I heard once, (ages ago) where these kinds of .bat files can be re-edited or renamed in notepad, thereby making it executable. Its just that I can't remember exactly how it was done.

Well you can do this part very easily. Simply open notepad and write the command you wish to exectue and save it. Then find the saved file and rename the extension from .txt to .bat and presto you now have a batch file. It should prompt you are you sure you want to change the file extension type or some crap like that.

Try creating a basic script just to make sure you can execute batch files on your machine and its not some security issue. Do something simple like launch AIM or something. Or an xcopy or something.

xcopy C:\test C:\paste

that should be quick and easy enough. just put a dummy file in the "test" folder or sumthin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom