A new processor, now a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teelo

Baseband Member
I just got a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor for christmas, upgrading from a 1.82 P4. I put the new processor in, put on the grease, put on the heatsink, reset the BIOS and then turned on the computer. The monitor is blank and says "No input signal received" or something like that.

I know the monitor is fine, its plugged in.
I have checked the graphics card several times.
I know everything is seated properly in their slots.
The IDE cable is connected to the HD and mobo.
My mobo can support the processor (it can support 3.06, I have a 3E)

I put the old proccesor back in and it says "Processor has been changed, put in new settings for the proccesor in setup" but wont let me even go into the CMOS setup because it locks up. Please help me, because now I have now clue what to do!

I would try flashing the BIOS with the latest version as it might be required to recognize that significant of a jump in clock speeds.

Before flashing the bios I would suggest that you reset the bios, either in the bios or taking out the cmos battery, and changing the jumpers, depending on how your mobo works. Flashing the bios is putting the new bios drivers on a floppy and installing them. I would suggest that you try to reset it before you flash it.

I just took the battery out, and reset the BIOS. Im still getting the exact same result. Everything like lights and fans are working but still getting a black screen.

make sure theres no disk in the floppy drive? IDK that simple mistake had me stumped for atleast 2 hours last night after I reset my bios after a failed overclock attempt. ... almost cried and everything lol, j/k good luck

no resetting the bios by taking out the battery is not the same as flashing the bios, resetting only takes the current bios back to default settings, flashing reprograms the bios to usually a newer version from a file that u put on a floppy disk that u get from ur mobo companies website

put the old processor back in and look for a BIOS update from the Motherboard Manufacture to support faster CPU`s.What is the Motherboard make and model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom