Audio Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tavilach

In Runtime
Soon I'm going to buy a cheap Linux box, and I won't want to spend money on a monitor. Thus, I will hook it up to my home network and use VNC to access it via my network (I've heard it is plenty fast...so why pay for a KVM switch if I don't need one).

But I have a problem...audio...

KVM switches + audio seem like a waste, because I don't need the KVM part (unless you guys see it differently)...just the audio part.

I was looking for audio switches, but none of them seemed like they would work with my 4-speaker + subwoofer (which connects to the PC into its two output jacks, I believe) system.

I just want to be able to flip a switch to get the audio from the second computer...any ideas?

Oh, and if there is a more software-ish way (maybe involving VNC?) to accomplish this, could you enlighten me? I'm almost sure there isn't, though...but maybe something that would sense which computer I have selected (the main one or the Linux one) and sound the appropriate audio?...I don't think that's possible, either.

BTW, TechTV had this to say: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,2587790,00.html

Perhaps their method is the best (but would it work with a 4-speaker system and a subwoofer?), since it will play the sound of both computers, and therefore no switching is needed...the computer that is open will obviously be making the noise, with perhaps some AIM noise coming from the other computer...

But their method seems so...eh...undesirable...I'm afraid I might mess up my sound card or something...I heard somewhere that their method can screw things up in the sound card...

Help will be appreciated, people!

Bumpty Dumpty sat on the wall,
Bumpty Dumpty had a great fall,
All the king's horses and all the king's men,
Couldn't put Bumpty Dumpty together again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom