New HD Only Registers As 127GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

OIDanTheManIO

Fully Optimized
Hey guys. I just got a brand new Seagate 200GB IDE HD for Christmas this morning. To make a long story short, I install it, I install Windows XP, and I'm good UNTIL I open My Computer and see that it's only 127GB. I think this is a service pack issue judging by what I read on http://techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=25847&highlight=127gb+seagate , but I don't want to upgarde my service pack to SP1 or SP2. Is there any other alternative way to fix this issue? Thanks.

-Dan The Man

Its due to either a BIOS limitation from an Intel chipset or your motherboard's limitation.

2 solutions:

Intel: download the Intel Application Accelerator

Non-Intel: Buy a Ultra ATA 133 PCI card with 48-bit Logical Block Addressing.

I'm telling you, it has nothing to do with the motherboard OR the chipset. IT'S GOT TO DO WITH WINDOWS XP!

-Dan The Man

I think ur right Dan, its windows XP, go to www.newegg.com and find it, then look at the reviews of it, I believe that somewhere in there is the answer, good luck!
Yan

OK, thanks for your help. I'm just going to setup two 100GB partitions. Jaksback tells me that that will work. Thanks again.

-Dan The Man

Windows XP1 is the minimum required to view large disks of this nature..I had a whopper of a time getting my 300GB drive to recognize all 300GB..In the end in turned out to be that I had to actually use the utility that came with the hard drive to get it to partition correctly as one large drive rather than 3 partitions or that nonsense. I would first toss on one of the service packs (SP2 is awesome!) this will also apply all the patches for many of the known attacks out there on the XP platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom