EIDE to SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

crypted

Baseband Member
My two (about two years old also) EIDE harddrives are starting to make awkward clicking noises so I assume their getting closer to biting the dust each day. My motherboard has slots for SATA drives so I figure hey I might as well buy one or two as a replacement. Well, I'd rather not lose my data so would it be possible to transfer my C:\ and D:\ files over to the two new harddives and keep everything operational? I know it's possible between EIDE drives, but not sure on EIDE -> SATA. I'm running with a AMD XP 3000 64BIT, Asus K8V, and PC3200 1.5GB RAM so I know hardware wise, I'm sufficient for the transfer tasks if possible. Let me know if it's possible and also ideas on how to transfer the drives (Software and what have you). Thanks a lot in advance.

Are you talking about ghosting the drive over? Or are you talking about just transfering the data over? If you are going to make the new sata bootable you will need to make a boot floppy for windows.

I mean by ghosting it I guess. An exact replica, and I hear I ought to do that with Norton Ghost 9, which I'll go by tomorrow. How about this boot disk? What is it for, and what do I do to make it, and once I use it will I have to continuously use it?

What he means by boot disk is that when you use a SATA drive to boot your computer from (ie if you have Windows installed on a SATA drive) you're going to need a boot disk to get it to run the first time. Then you can config it once it's booted.

Standard BIOS's don't have SATA boot compatability, that's why you need the boot disk the first time.

After that you should be good. I'd look for the boot disk on any discs that came with your SATA drives, or you can just google for some.

Didn't realize what he meant, I guess it doesn't, I just never have done it before. My ASUS motherboard has the SATA bridge built into it and supposedly, from what I've heard from other users, will boot the SATA drives. So does that mean I still require a bootdisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom