Upgrading 4 Half-Life 2. Radeon 9700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was unaware of there being multiple half life games out right now....
Perhaps he was reffering to the game mods.

I'd go with the 9800 Pro, I have two of these beasts, one standard card and one AIW, and they both perform very well in HL2 and a variety of other games, without any overclocking.

And the X700 is out of the question since it's a PCI Express card...

First, I must thank Nubius for his sermon :]
I have been looking around alot and found that the 6600gt is a very good card for a great price! I am still deciding between the 6600gt or the radeon 9800pro. I don't know how they compare in performance In half-life 2 or games like counter strike. From the benchmarks the 6600gt outperforms the radeon in most resolutions over 1024x768, but I dont use them. The radeon did outperform in some of the benchmarks using the 1024x768 and smaller resolutions. The radeon is easier to find and cost less than the 6600gt. i also heard it is very easy to overclock the pro to an XT. what do ya still think? Anyone have benchmarks on Half-life 2?

First, I must thank Nubius for his sermon :]

AMEN BROTHERS!! Sry, just seen more than my fare share of these threads :D

You gotta take into consideration especially with an eVGA 6600GT you'll be able to overclock it because they are good quality cards and put good heatsinks on them. Mainly that's the reason for the success of their 6800GT lines.

My buddy has had his 9700 Pro (OC'd) for about 7 months now and he already wants a new one. Hold out for at least a 6600GT ( $240 USD) if not longer to buy an X800 XT or 6800 GT.

The 9700 will run HL2, but it's already a severely outdated card.

True_Orb said:
My buddy has had his 9700 Pro (OC'd) for about 7 months now and he already wants a new one. Hold out for at least a 6600GT ( $240 USD) if not longer to buy an X800 XT or 6800 GT.

???$240 for a 6600GT? that sure is overpriced. $190-220 is what i would expect to pay even for the AGP model.

yea cos in Australia (where i am) dispite the fact that everything is overpriced i can get a 6600GT PCI-E for $299.

i think that its only worth getting Socket 939 if ur gonna go the whole way and get a SLI system. otherwise there is no reason not to go 754instead

Sh0r_ty said:
i think that its only worth getting Socket 939 if ur gonna go the whole way and get a SLI system. otherwise there is no reason not to go 754instead

heres a few reasons:

there discontinued already with no hope of upgrading to bigger and better parts
they perform alot less than the 939
did i mention that they aren't gonna be made anymore already?

it's definetly a bad idea to go 754 unless you absolutely cannot afford a 939 or do not plan on upgrading your system at all. Pretty soon the cpu's and mobo's are gonna be hard to find, just liek the XP hardware.

True_Orb said:
You think so? I mean they still sell Socket 462 and Socket A.

They still sell them because there still out there. just cuz' there discontinued doesn't mean that they vanish in one night. it's getting harder and harder to find socket A CPU's, especially in retail stores. there easily found online though. i mean they still sell some ancient computer stuff, it's just overpriced and hard to find...but it's still out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom